S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

FRUSTRATED: Axle Nut Help. UPDATED

Old 04-03-2006, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by billman250,Apr 3 2006, 05:24 PM
It's not loose. it's just not tight enough to keep the inner bearing races from shifting. The axle shaft, inner bearing races, and nut must remain clamped together with no shifting. Once the inner races start shifting, they take the press fit away from the hub. once that happens, the race will spin on the hub, wearing it out.

If it's torqued to 220 after the rebuild, you'll be fine. I would check it again at 10K, then call it good for life.
Ok, thats the info I wanted to here.......also what you said Xviper, thanks for explaining that. So I am just gonna order a hub/bearing in the next couple weeks, and new axle nuts. Put it all together, torque to 220 and it will be good.

Thing is... I know that mine were torqued much more then 220 because when I reinstalled the nuts, the new stake mark was behind the old one meaning it didnt turn as much around. I wonder why someone did this.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:14 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by hatch4raceb16,Apr 3 2006, 06:31 PM
I know that mine were torqued much more then 220 because when I reinstalled the nuts, the new stake mark was behind the old one meaning it didnt turn as much around. I wonder why someone did this.
Since it was someone else's car before you, it's not hard to imagine that the clicking must have gotten really bad at one point and rather than taking care of it the proper way, the previous owner may have just simply thought, "Let's really ram that sucker on there so it don't make no noise. What it does after I sell it, who cares?"
Old 04-03-2006, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,Apr 3 2006, 06:14 PM
Since it was someone else's car before you, it's not hard to imagine that the clicking must have gotten really bad at one point and rather than taking care of it the proper way, the previous owner may have just simply thought, "Let's really ram that sucker on there so it don't make no noise. What it does after I sell it, who cares?"
You could be right, but he was sort of a moron and wasnt the work on car type. I would guess that it was the Honda dealership that did this, as most of them are hacks anyways.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:29 PM

I need to chime in here.
My car is a 2000 I am the only owner. I was one of the first to have a clicking sound issue, it was like Viber said, it was the brake pads releasing at start up. I know this because it was common on past hondas (the oddesse) so I put a piece of paper between the pad and the sides (business card piece) and the clicking went away.

The axle nut was a serious costly issue for me. I had that clicking, very loud and noticible. It usually happened after a track day. I re-tighten the nut and things went away for awhile. I had a warranty so everytime after I tightened it I brought it in for them to look at. And it was fine for awhile. I did this three times. The last time they took axle out and said it was rusty at the end and cleaned it up ane everything was fine.
Although with heavy driving the clicking came back.
Finally at the Dragon Ball run it went to far. The clicking came back with other signs. I stopped when things got bad, called the Honda dealer and thought it was the same thing. I was so wrong.
My bearing was shot. The whole rear angled outward because the bearing was bad. It angled out enought that it was rubbing on the brake caliper, past the pads right to the metal. Not a good thing.

With my stupidity I drove it a mile more after taking to the dealer, and the heat from the caliper tore the rotor in half, over heated the axle plus with the angle broke the axle clear off at the axle nut. At this time I stopped and called a tow truck, I know I should of done this sooner. I've learned from this.
When the car got off the truck, they picked up the rear end of the car and the whole tire, wheel, axle, rotor everything fell off the car.

The reason for this post, beware that if this continues hidden issues may be behind the obvious. Bearings can go, I had 30k miles on my car, never driven in the winter, but I did track the car.

Right after that my diff went out on me and I had to spend more money.

Still have the car and love it.

aquatic
Old 04-04-2006, 04:42 PM

Received 1,338 Likes on 810 Posts

Dam that's like stage 15, I only posted like 4 or 5
Old 04-06-2006, 12:28 PM

I had the same clicking noise coming from the rear - I initially thought it was the hub nuts. I had a Honda dealership change them out, regrease and tighten to the correct torque settings. No change. Changed out the hub nuts again and tightened to the new spec.

Still got the same noise especially when moving forawrd, stopping and then reversing.

The techinician found the problem - it was the rear brake pads shifting when changing direction. He removed them, regreased, and slightly bent the shims so that they gripped the pads in place better. Problem solved.

HTH.