S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Front wheel hubs & bearings

Old 11-22-2014, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front wheel hubs & bearings

Hi All - This discussion should be quick. I have nice noise coming from the front left wheel during hard right cornering (specifically on on and off ramps). With that said, I am thinking that S2K is in need of a front hub and bearing replacement.

What hub and bearing brands do you all suggest? My S2K is an AP2.

Thanks guys.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:36 AM

Received 480 Likes on 392 Posts

Oem style nsk bearings, doorman or oem hubs.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/301286139785?nav=SEARCH

Alternatively you can buy a used spindle.

Oem will generally last longer but these nsk bearings are Oem, check the part number vs majestic's website the only difference is the last 3 digits is A01 majestic sells A02.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:37 AM

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions? I did read a thread that strongly suggested OEM hubs. Supposedly the dorman gave them a ton of problems??
Old 11-22-2014, 10:50 AM

? The ones I got fit perfectly. Also if you want an upgrade skf makes bearings for the S these are probably the highest quality bearings money can buy.

Before you go tearing stuff appart though, make sure it's not the brake dust shield rubbing the rotor.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get OEM hubs and timken bearings. My timken is doing well on my rears so far
Old 11-22-2014, 01:43 PM

I believe the main takeaway point is that it's not recommended re-use the hubs after bearings have worn. I don't know the specs of brand new hubs, but I bet if you measured used ones with a micrometer at different points where the old bearing sat, you would find the hubs to no longer be concentric, especially if the bearings are worn.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:45 PM

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
I believe the main takeaway point is that it's not recommended re-use the hubs after bearings have worn. I don't know the specs of brand new hubs, but I bet if you measured used ones with a micrometer at different points where the old bearing sat, you would find the hubs to no longer be concentric, especially if the bearings are worn.
That doesn't make sense. The hubs are cast iron. There is no movement between the hub and the bearing race. You press the old bearing out and the new bearing in. Sure, if there is unusual wear or damaged in some way then they should be replaced. If it was common to always replace the hubs with the bearings, Honda would sell them that way.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:19 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by slalom44
Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
That doesn't make sense. The hubs are cast iron. There is no movement between the hub and the bearing race. You press the old bearing out and the new bearing in. Sure, if there is unusual wear or damaged in some way then they should be replaced. If it was common to always replace the hubs with the bearings, Honda would sell them that way.
They should, this has been tried many, many times, mostly ending in premature bearing failure. The hub should be replaced with the bearing. Admittedly most instances I read were rears and the design of the front is slightly different, but I didn't take any chances and went with all new hubs.

The issue is the scoring of the hub from the bearing failing, then the bearing turns on the hub, but for some reason it seems that even ones that seem fine (i.e. no scoring) seem to fail too.

I went with Doorman hubs/Timken bearings from Rock Auto to save $ and was not disappointed.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:24 PM

I'm saying that if your bearings get to the point they start growling, it's probably too late for the hub as well. Perhaps you can get away with re-using the hub if you treat the bearings like a maintenance item and replace them every x amount of miles. Cast iron is not a particularly hard metal, it withstands heat and fatigue well, but it's relatively soft, especially compared to hardened steel. Which happens to the bearing races once they start growling as they develop hot spots.

Like I said, if you measured a new hub, vs one that had a worn bearing with a micrometer I bet it would show a little parallelism. I have to replace rear wheel bearings after thanksgiving so I'll get my nerd on and mic the old and new hubs.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:10 AM

Sooo... The front bearings have been replaced. The noise is still present in the front left area of the vehicle during right cornering, specifically on on and off ramps. The noise kind of sounds like grinding. It is difficult to accurately describe. I have had the car up on a lift and did not see any areas of potential contact with the tire and something on the vehicle. I'm really stumped.

Do you all have any suggestions on what it could be? Obviously, I thought it was the bearings, but replacing them did not help.

Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Front wheel hubs & bearings