S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Front Wheel Bearing Gone @ 40K miles

Old 06-19-2009, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Front Wheel Bearing Gone @ 40K miles

I had my front tire replaced today at a shop that actually does on car balancing (they rotate each wheel while on the car). To my dismay, I found out that my front pads already need to be replaced (30% left)..thats kind of premature isn't it?

But most shockingly, I was told that my front passenger wheel bearing was going bad....there was a strange whine while they spun that wheel. I hadn't noticed it before but they suggested I replace it soon...I got back and searched the forums to see if this was common, but it seems that this has yet to happen to anyone. The only cases I could find were the rear bearings and it was usually due to the axle nut coming loose over time (Billman of NY Metro had lots to say about this).

I don't mind them replacing it for the peace of mind because they're only charging me $140 for parts + labor VS. if I did it myself the part would be $75 with shipping and replacing the bearing is a PITA. I was wondering if anyone else has had their front bearing go bad?
Old 06-19-2009, 11:49 AM

I would just make sure it isnt the squealers on the brake pads making that noise. They are there to alert you that your pads are worn and they tend to make a noise that could easily be mistaken for a wheel bearing. Sounds like a canidiate.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also could happen if you recently replaced they pad and the shims weren't greased properly.

The short answer to your question is "No, it's not common"
Old 06-19-2009, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by stitos2k,Jun 19 2009, 03:00 PM
Also could happen if you recently replaced they pad and the shims weren't greased properly.

The short answer to your question is "No, it's not common"
The pads weren't replaced recently and I'm actually going to replace the pads Sunday. Hopefully I'll be able to tell if its the squelers on the pads. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:28 AM

if it was just a noise, it could be the bearing, probablly your pads tho....when you get the car in tha air, before you loosen the lugs, try to move the tire in a manner it isn't supposed to, look for a wobble or oscillation. there should be none whatsoever.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:08 AM

Thanks for the helps guys, there was no whiggle in the wheel but I took off the pads an spun the wheel and could definitely hear a noise coming from the hub which probably points to a failing bearing. The left wheel didn't have this noise so I'm just gonna have the shop replace it.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:06 AM

hey GT NFR,

I am getting an odd on and off humming noise from front driverside wheel bearing around 70km's/hour... The noise is there on accel and decel and neutral... in gear or out of gear doesn't matter. There is no vibration but it's loudest around 70 then faster than that seems to go away.

What signs did it give YOU while driving? I just want to make sure it's my bearing. that is where the noise is coming from... i'm just waiting a few more km's until the noise gets louder and I know 100% thats the problem.

Thanks
Old 07-28-2009, 08:02 PM

bumping an old-ish thread...

i've been getting a noise recently that i first attributed to worn out tires (ecsta xs are sticky as hell, but at 5400 mi i'm almost at the wear bars!)

however, the noise seems to be coming from the front of the car. it's definitely speed related; i start noticing it around 25 or 30 mph, it gets faster up til about 65 mph, then wind/road/etc noise drown it out.

it's like a wa wa wa wa wawawawawwwwwwaaaaa.... (got no real way to describe it)

i was hoping it was my passenger rear bearing (since i have a new one sitting on my shelf), but damn it seems to be coming from the front of the car. clutch in or out, in gear or neutral, doesn't matter. only factor is the wheels turning.

i had no idea front wheel bearings were going out on our cars (there isn't much talk about them), but i'm gonna jack it up tomorrow and see if i can tell anything. i don't know if anyone is still watching this thread, but i'll update with whatever i find out
Old 07-28-2009, 08:07 PM

I couldn't hear the faulty bearing while I was driving. The humming sound you hear is most likely your tires...I know mine were making that noise.

The only way I found out was when I got an on car spin balance where they spin the wheels on the car. The tech heard it and told me to listen to it. For me it was on the passenger side and it was definitely a noticeable difference between driver and passenger side. I double checked when I was changin my front brakes by spinning the passenger tire with my hand while the front was jacked up...and I could still hear a difference between the two sides.

Once I was sure I had them replace it. It ended up being a $160 job with part + labor. definitely worth it since I don't have the tools to punch the bearing in.

EDIT: the wawawawa wa wa sound is almost certainly your tires. You could do what I did and try to spin your front wheels by hand and listen carefully.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:59 AM

the only problem with that is...there's no reason my front tires should be making any noise. they only have 5400 miles on them. and i'm pretty sure the noise is coming from the front. i jacked the car up, and don't notice any play side to side, although it's kind of hard to tell since the tires want to move side to side anyway when they aren't on the ground.

i dunno. i spun them, and don't hear anything other than a tiny bit of brake pad rubbing. i guess maybe i'll swap them side to side just for the hell of it and see if for some reason that makes the noise any different.

Quick Reply: Front Wheel Bearing Gone @ 40K miles