S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Front Lip @ Highspeed. How to secure them?

Old 08-04-2016, 12:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front Lip @ Highspeed. How to secure them?

Firstly, sorry in advance if this isn't "under the hood". It is a technical question, though.

I ordered an AMS / Amuse style lip (replica) and was about to return it when I saw that it mounts to the front of the bumper with mounting tape. This lip sticks out quite a bit, so at 120mph going down the straight of Thunderhill, I expect it to potentially deal with some nasty aero forces.

Note how the lip is attached to the bumper along the central section of the bumper, just below the main air vent. This is the hardest portion of the lip to secure as it relies on a single strip of double sided tape going across the bumper. The surface area of the lip that the mounting tape can adhere to on this lip is very limited along that central section as well, probably only about a section 1cm wide. Furthermore, this section of paint on my bumper is not pristine, and I don't want to put double sided tape on it. Frankly, I hate using double sided tape in general because it can really mess with your paint.

Instead, I'm thinking of using two bumper support rods and bolts ONLY with no mounting tape or only some mounting tape along the bottom side of the bumper.

I want to mount the bumper using bolts on the bottom holes of the bumper and drill a few extra, close to the front most part of the bumper. Screws also go into the wheel well edge of the lip.
Then, I want to use the bumper support rods to be responsible for keeping upward tension on the lip against any downforce it generates.

Does anyone have any input on whether I should continue with this or just return the lip and eat the shipping fees ($32).
Old 08-05-2016, 04:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just use the double sided tape personally and add screws along the bottom since you already have them for the wheel arch. If you really don't want to mess with the double sided tape you could probably get away without it but 3m makes some nice double sided tape.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would use the double sided tape and also like ^ mentioned screws underneath and behind the sides of the lip if you're concerned. Don't forget the weather stripping type stuff to put in between the top of the lip and your bumper to prevent damage. It also makes for a cleaner install imo.

Good luck man