S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Front end noise

Old 07-12-2005, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end noise

I have a 2001 S, 16K, bone stock. In the last week or so have noticed a creaking noise coming from the front end. Typically, it's only heard when the suspension twists such as going into a sloped driveway at an angle or going downhill around a corner. I can hear it at slow speeds, and I'm sure it's there all of the time, just not audible. It is also there when hitting small bumps in the pavement of a residential street.

When I push up and down on the front of the car, I cannot hear it.

The car's maintenance is up to date, any help would be appreciated.

Sorry if this is a re-post.

Thanks
Old 07-12-2005, 07:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a similar issue. When I go over speed bumps I notice a clunking sound, like a shock is loose at it's mount (Koni Yellows).

I shake the shock and springs (stock) but can't make the noise. Can't make the noise when I bounce it up and down either. It only seems to happen when I go over a speed bump (at really slow speeds of course) or something like that.

Warren
Old 10-22-2005, 02:59 PM

I have the same problem. Took it to the dealer who proceeded to go crazy trying to find the cause. They lubricated everything and re-torqued all the bolts in the front end but to no avail.

Note: mine is much worse when the car is cold (as in the morning).
Old 08-09-2007, 05:35 AM

I have the same problem, still trying to figure this one out.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:56 PM

I realize that these posts are 2 years old but to add to it I started noticing the creaking noise about a week ago also. I have a MY06 lowered on espiliers. I also followed the same proceedures as some of the guy's that posted before me. Could it be a little road dirt has worked its was into the shock boot or between the spring and the mounting surface?
Old 08-05-2009, 07:52 PM

Received 64 Likes on 25 Posts

i too have a popping/clunk noise coming from the front at low speeds when i take off or brake sometimes. i double checked everything and can't find it
Old 08-05-2009, 08:30 PM

You can always turn the music up, thats what I do to eliminate all the noise the s2k makes and I have a hardtop which makes tons of more noise to add on to the others
Old 08-05-2009, 09:23 PM

Received 64 Likes on 25 Posts

i agree, the hardtop makes lots of noise. it clunks on the driver side alot for me. guess i need to adjust it
Old 08-06-2009, 04:37 PM

I ran across an old thread last night while searching for a solution to this problem and found one that stated that the front subframe bolts, 6 of them, could be somewhat loose and needed to be retorqued. I was actual able to give all of the bolts a full turn to turn and a half before reaching the torque setting.

I came home from work, jacked the front up, crawled under and retorqed per helms manual. 19mm=85lbft, 17mm=43lbft.
Note: On the newer models the six subframe bolts may all be 19mm.

Took the car on a long slow drive over uneven surfaces (with the top down to hear) drove about 12 miles and so far as of yet no more popping sounds. Even went over RR tracks a couple of times.

My popping noise occured at 15-20mph or less.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:14 AM

I have the same issue, Sorry for bringing this back, but thank you for sharing your solution, I will try it when i get home today. Ive been having this sound for over a year and i thought it was the driver side motor mount. I changed it and the old one was in two pieces. After installing the new one (torqued all motor mount bolts to 40ftlbs)I took it for a quick spin, up a sloped driveway,down the drive way, reverse, forwards, driving over bumps, slowing down, speeding up , and the sound came BACK!! Sounds like a loud CLUCK or CLICK (like two pieces of metal hitting one another, as if the top metal piece was separated from the bottom metal piece for a second and fell back down on the bottom metal piece, this is the best way i can describe it.) coming from the sub-frame/motor mount area(s) sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn,t sometimes it happens 4 times in a row sometimes it happens once.

So i will try your solution. Maybe my passenger side motor mount is in two pieces as well??I should check that out.. and ill re-tighten all the sub-frame bolts. Will be back to share my solution.

Originally Posted by cannonball
I ran across an old thread last night while searching for a solution to this problem and found one that stated that the front subframe bolts, 6 of them, could be somewhat loose and needed to be retorqued. I was actual able to give all of the bolts a full turn to turn and a half before reaching the torque setting.

I came home from work, jacked the front up, crawled under and retorqed per helms manual. 19mm=85lbft, 17mm=43lbft.
Note: On the newer models the six subframe bolts may all be 19mm.

Took the car on a long slow drive over uneven surfaces (with the top down to hear) drove about 12 miles and so far as of yet no more popping sounds. Even went over RR tracks a couple of times.

My popping noise occured at 15-20mph or less.

Quick Reply: Front end noise