S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Front-end collision has generated 2 questions from an anonymous owner...

Old 11-13-2003, 05:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Recently I received a response from a "corner clearing" customer that had suffered a front-end collision. As a result of the collision, there are apparently 2 mechanical issues that he has asked me about. I'm not versed enough with the intricacies of our S2000 to answer his questions but I thought I'd post them here. I'm not altering his questions, so if you can assist, interpret them as you would. Here we go...

There's 2 questions I tried to discuss on the S2ki.com forum, but perhaps you could give me your precious opinion! Even the guys at Honda's dealer weren't sure about it! As you seem to be as S2000 enthousiast, here's the 2 difficult questions:

1st question: along with my accident, the airbags were deployed. The car doesnt' have any impact SRS sensor like most car have (usually located right behing the front bumper). What the car has is a deceleration sensor located in the SRS unit. My question is: why do I need to replace that unit? Is it for security reason (like the deceleration sensor would be more sensible now?), or is it just because now the unit is giving a contiunuous signal to the airbags to deploy them?....that wouldn't be logical, because the cut-off switch that had to be re-activated is not getting any signal, as the engine is now running!

2nd question: in the forum someone told me that the electric air pump located behind the left headlight is just to regulate the emissions of the car during the first 5 minutes when the engine is cold and just started. As that pump was also damaged and its price is over 1000 USD, that would be easier to simply bypass it....and for the first 5 minutes each time I take the car I would be a dishonest polluter... Honda told me that air-pump is for the ABS circuit.....what is your opinion?

As a strictly non-mechanical answer to both of these questions, I believe my own answer would be to pay the bills and "make the car right as designed." Especially the airbag one...but I realize there are folks on the boards that replace their steering wheels with units that do not even have airbags, etc. Fair enough... I just worry with "resale" that a "next owner" would not possibly be aware (if I'm interpreting the 1st question right) that the SRS is effectively disabled.

Second question not as difficult for me to stew over (more than a few folks cut out their catalytic converters, etc. for performance gains...so its not like there aren't *worse* ways to pollute than to bypass this lil' emmisions pump)...but I guess I wonder if he'd be receiving CEL warnings, etc. with that bypassed .

Anyone wish to post their thoughts?

- Dave
Old 11-13-2003, 07:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is my take on question #1. Manufactures don't like re-setable saftey devices. There is always a chance that they will not work causing a law suit.
Old 11-13-2003, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question 1: I agree with what FSures said. Although I have no specific knowledge of the S2000's system, my understanding of how a deceleration sensor works it that it takes a certain amount of force to cause a part within the sensor to break loose and move. Once the part moves, it does not go back. This is how the system in my Altima worked when my wife had someone pull out in front of her. Because the impact was at an angle and not straight on, there was not enough deceleration force in the direction that the car was going to activate the sensor. There was extensive front end damage, but the airbags did not deploy which would have totaled the car. From a liability standpoint, if I owned a body shop, I would absolutely refuse to not replace the sensor. If a customer sells the car and someone else wrecks it and gets hurt because the airbag didn't deploy properly, they can sue the body shop for damages. In my opinion, they would have a pretty good case because it's the body shop's responsibility to repair the car so that it is safe to drive.

Question 2: Is this the air pump that you're talking about?

If so, the list price on the air pump assembly is $585.48. Every part in the picture can be had for a list price of $710.94 and I'd bet that you don't need every part. But, I don't know what it's for. That's a good question.
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/j...tcgry5=AIR+PUMP
Old 11-13-2003, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PM sent