S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Friendly Reminder: Cabin Air Filter

Old 01-27-2004, 04:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a different option for consideration - remove the filter and do not replace it.

Think about it - the thing is small, contained in a dark place, and when the car is stationary, it gets very little if any air circulation. It is a magnet and a Petrie dish for mold, spores, and bacteria.

I think it is very possible that it is exposing you to elevated levels of those pollutants on a regular basis, in concentrations higher than you would ever see unless you live in a high school boy's locker room closet. With forced air, no less.

Others have posted they smell a musty smell even when the car has less than 30k miles on it, and that is mold/mildew - since the amount of crud and bacteria in it will vary greatly from car to car, you will never know how crapped up it is, and personally, I would just as soon be done with it. Or, the car should come with a little lab technician (maybe one of the unemployed ones from the OJ trial) in the glove box who can do the analysis daily.

Plus, this is a convertible, not a 7-series BMW.

The only potential benefit I see is that it might help reduce the buildup of the same bacteria, mold, and mildew from the evaporator core. That can get so filthy that there are specialized products to deal with it:
http://www.storesonline.com/site/598452/pr...roduct/BG%20708

The product planners probably figured people would ask for this bit of fluff, so in it went, and it is a tidy little maintenance perk for the shop, isn't it? Consumers Reports types who would never change their tranny oil probably are counting the miles until their little filter gets replaced. The whole thing is silly, IMHO. If you must use one, make sure you keep the recirc button in the open position, or it will make matters worse.

Why not just get one of The Sharper Image stupid ozone generators they sell (the one for the cig lighter). Of course, it's output is puny, and it produces ozone, but this is style over substance, baby!
Old 01-27-2004, 04:52 PM

Old 01-27-2004, 04:57 PM

Old 01-27-2004, 05:00 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Destiny2002
Road rage, please install a UV anti-baceterial light in your intake plumbing and change it every 6 months.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:17 PM

Old 01-27-2004, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honda Engineers had a reason for including the cabin air filter within the design of the car, especially a design that adds cost and no visible value (besides breathing cleaner air).
Old 01-28-2004, 06:48 AM

Does K&N make a replacement?
Old 01-28-2004, 11:40 AM

i changed mine at 15k. i took it out and looked and it was pretty dirty. and because i am talking about breathing cleaner air i wanted it as clean as possible. also depending where you live if you live in a dusty area or an area that has a lot of dirt, construction or anything like that you get a lot of dirt also
Old 01-29-2004, 12:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by BlueS2000Boy
i changed mine at 15k. i took it out and looked and it was pretty dirty. and because i am talking about breathing cleaner air i wanted it as clean as possible. also depending where you live if you live in a dusty area or an area that has a lot of dirt, construction or anything like that you get a lot of dirt also
Yeah, there's nothing like turning on the air vents after the car has sat for a while, and have a bunch of dust and crap blow in your face. My 240SX is terrible for doing that. I can appreciate the filter.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:05 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's mine @ 84k km.

Quick Reply: Friendly Reminder: Cabin Air Filter