S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Freshly rebuilt engine, knocking after 1k miles

Old 04-27-2014, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your problem sounds exactly like what I am dealing with on my 02 s2000, except mine only has 200 miles on the rebuild. The videos you posted sound just like my car as well.
I tested the fuel injectors by unclipping the fuel injector connectors one at a time while it was cranked to see if the noise would stop. It didn't. I checked the harmonic balancer as well. I tried disconnecting the vtech solenoid, no luck. Checked under the valve cover and everything looks good. Pulled the oil pan & checked the rod bearings, no metal shavings in the oil and the bearings plastigaged within specs. I'm at a loss & don't want to crank it anymore as the knocking gets louder everytime I crank it.
I saw that someone said their oil squirter failed and the pistons messed up the cylinder wall. I am going to try and find a type of camera/video recorder to put down the spark plug holes and see if there is some damage that way.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:47 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

After watching videos of piston slap it sounds almost identical. I'm thinking we'll have to pull the head off and take a look at the walls to see what's going on
Old 04-27-2014, 08:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you forget to install the lost motion springs?
Old 04-27-2014, 08:20 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

They're in there and appear to be how they're supposed to be. We quickly checked the head today, didn't disassemble anything though so they were hard to see
Old 04-27-2014, 08:21 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you considered a digital inspection cam thru the sparkplug holes? Maybe a look inside the cylinder would help you diagnose.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:09 AM

Received 1,385 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Not sure if this would make a noise, but what about the bolt that holds the upper cam gear in place? Its that allen head that is in the front of head, just below the valve cover.

Make sure that is torqued down.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont think its a rod bearing. Sounds like a chain slapping. Might consider pulling the timing cover off and checking out the guides for the oil pump chain, seeing as you said it stripped out. Could of came off causing slappage?
Old 04-28-2014, 06:38 PM

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Sounds like a scuffed bore.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:32 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Even if any of that is a real concern (which it may be, I admit I don't know), it wouldn't show up with this few miles, and certainly wouldn't cause a knock.

So I don't expect honing or old pistons is part of the issue in any way.

Originally Posted by AP1Driver
I agree somewhat, but if he "honed" it improperly and removed more liner than necessary, and used the old piston rings, it will not have a seal to the cylinder wall and will create piston slap/burn a ton of oil, and should be smoking blue constantly. Any smoke?

Originally Posted by chris_barry
Pull the rocker cover off and check you haven't left any rocker adjusters or bolts on the rocker assembly loose.

Originally Posted by 03suzuka...s2000
Sound similar when I forgot to torque down a rocker arm. I beleive a rod knock would be more consistent but that's what it sounds like to me.

Originally Posted by liquid_helix136
After watching videos of piston slap it sounds almost identical. I'm thinking we'll have to pull the head off and take a look at the walls to see what's going on

Originally Posted by chris_barry
Did you forget to install the lost motion springs?

Originally Posted by Fierc3
Have you considered a digital inspection cam thru the sparkplug holes? Maybe a look inside the cylinder would help you diagnose.

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Not sure if this would make a noise, but what about the bolt that holds the upper cam gear in place? Its that allen head that is in the front of head, just below the valve cover.

Make sure that is torqued down.

Originally Posted by _brandon
Dont think its a rod bearing. Sounds like a chain slapping. Might consider pulling the timing cover off and checking out the guides for the oil pump chain, seeing as you said it stripped out. Could of came off causing slappage?

Originally Posted by Soul Coughing
Sounds like a scuffed bore.
Well. I'm certainly glad we have some consensus about what's going on! lol

Can we take bets?

But seriously, even if I can't help much, good luck. And I still suggest a mechanics stethoscope...
Old 04-29-2014, 05:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a inspection camera to look down my spark plug holes but you cant see the cylinder walls very well, what we did see was fine though & the pistons looked good. My brother has been working at a NAPA shop for 10 years & used a mechanic's stethoscope, i.e. 18in ratchet extension to listen to the engine & he couldn't really pinpoint anything. I'm scared to crank the car anymore cause the knocking gets louder every time you crank it.

Quick Reply: Freshly rebuilt engine, knocking after 1k miles