S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

FREE---easy shifting!

Old 12-12-2010, 11:11 AM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Originally Posted by osidis,Dec 12 2010, 03:37 PM
yes synchros are there for a reason. not to be beat to shit. plus it cant hurt. and yes i agree there might be an adjustment needed or something wrong.
it's a good procedure to use to keep from grinding the gears, until such time as you can get the issue resolved. It shouldnt' be necessary but if you can't get it solved then it's better doing the dc than grinding gears. hth.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:15 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by osidis,Dec 12 2010, 09:10 AM
you dont buy an S2000 to be lazy. its a drivers car. double clutching is better for your car anyway, so why wouldnt you do it? Go beat up a nissan if you dont want to double clutch.
I read these types of comments and really wonder.

You have a starter motor, don't be so lazy push it to start it and just drop it into 2nd and roll.

That's how your comment comes off.

OP - your double clutchin will work but shouldn't be required.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:48 AM

Received 419 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by osidis,Dec 12 2010, 11:10 AM
you dont buy an S2000 to be lazy. its a drivers car. double clutching is better for your car anyway, so why wouldnt you do it? Go beat up a nissan if you dont want to double clutch.
GRANNY SHIFTING NOT DOUBLE CLUTCHING LIKE YOU SHOULD HAVE!

Old 12-12-2010, 11:57 AM

Received 419 Likes on 240 Posts

I love dbl clutching my RHD JDM S200 i modded it.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by osidis,Dec 12 2010, 02:37 PM
yes synchros are there for a reason. not to be beat to shit. plus it cant hurt. and yes i agree there might be an adjustment needed or something wrong.
His synchro's aren't the problem. The ring teeth are mushroomed. It's downhill from here. If you pull the shifter into the synchro and wait for it to lockup and follow it in, there is no damage. It's when people power shift or don't push the pedal all the way to the floor before pulling it out of gear that kills it.

Shifting is three distinct steps. Clutch to floor, pull out and into gear, release clutch. If your hand and foot are moving at the same time you're breaking something.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 12-12-2010, 02:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JFUSION,Dec 12 2010, 06:00 AM
While that will work there are a few things you should try if you have some extra time. My car is a fair bit older than yours and I got it to shift perfectly with just a few adjustments. Here they are:

Adjusted the clutch to raise the disengagement point by lengthening the clutch rod (simple adjustment), Change the clutch fluid and clean out the clutch MC if dirty, Lube the shifter as per the TSB, Put in fresh Honda MTF2 tranny fluid. I just put on a heavier (skunk2) shift knob which feels even better but the first four items are most important.
sorry to thread jack, but by clutch adjustment you mean this?
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...c=192881&st=0&
adjusting the pedal?
Old 12-12-2010, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone ragging on double clutching is an idiot. I mentioned this before as well. The transmission is designed for high rpm shifts, not low putting around town shifting. Did you guys ever notice that 6-8K shifts feel way better than 2-4 K shifts? The transmission doesnt slow down enough at lower RPM to engage the next gear properly unless you either:
1) DC as the OP mentioned
2) Pause for a split second.

If the naysayers understood manual transmissions, you guys would also know that syncros are like clutches, they wear out. Its not some magical fairy dust item that you can use forever. By pausing or double clutching you can lengthen the lifespan.

Do I double clutch? Not when driving spiritedly (high rpm shifts, shifts like butter) but when I'm putting around town shifting at 3-5K, I do.

Most of you guys who say it shifts fine at low RPMS are either:
1) forcing the shifts & abusing the synchros
2) shifting slowly without realizing it
3)???

A heavier trans fluid might slow down the transmission significantly, which might make it seem like you're getting better low RPM shifts but then higher RPM shifts will feel worse.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by SgtB,Dec 12 2010, 05:31 PM
His synchro's aren't the problem. The ring teeth are mushroomed. It's downhill from here. If you pull the shifter into the synchro and wait for it to lockup and follow it in, there is no damage. It's when people power shift or don't push the pedal all the way to the floor before pulling it out of gear that kills it.

Shifting is three distinct steps. Clutch to floor, pull out and into gear, release clutch. If your hand and foot are moving at the same time you're breaking something.
that's why I find a clutch adjustment helps me, sometimes my hand wants to shift faster than my foot fully disengages the clutch. By having the clutch disengage earlier in the pedal application I'll get smoother shifts, it's all timing, giving the tranny more time to work properly. When I first got my car the clutch disengaged and engaged very close to the floor, by raising the point upwards with a clutch rod lengthening it helps with the timing of the shifts. Worked wonders for me. If you don't like the change then just move it back, easy to do.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:52 PM

[QUOTE=buzz944,Dec 12 2010, 07:19 PM] sorry to thread jack,

Quick Reply: FREE---easy shifting!