S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

found the tranny leak

Old 11-25-2006, 07:07 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default found the tranny leak

well, last night i noticed a bunch of oil crap underneath my 06, and also noticed some fresh looking oil near the tranny. i searched s2ki last night, and found plenty of stuff about the rear main seal. well, after taking it to a dealer(which they couldnt get me in), my base has a lift bay, so i went there, got it in the air. found it was leaking from the tranny where the propeller shaft connects. you can see where it slung it all over the tunnel, i'm really upset!!!! just hit 2700 miles, absolutely no maintenance done, and i have babied this car since just about 4 miles!!! it also looked like the diff may have been leaking, but not sure, may have just been oil from the tranny that made its way back there. i have an appointment wednesday with the dealer, but damn, that it just way too long. anyways, i will keep you all updated

pete

also, does anyone know the outcome if it runs dry. i'm gonna try and not drive it much. but if the tranny is really low on oil, will it start grinding before anything really serious happens?
Old 11-25-2006, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The outcome if it becomes dry is a ruined transmission.

If you have access to a lift, check the level of the transmission fluid.

If it's low, take it to the dealer and leave it with them until they can check it out.

Willinathen
Old 11-25-2006, 08:27 AM

with Nate. These trannys don't hold a lot of fluid to start with. Under the circumstances with an almost new car the dealer should come pick it up and haul it in to fix it. I'd ask at least.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, please check the transmission oil level, and if low, either top it up and monitor the level or do not drive the car.

The repair should be very straightforward - a new rear transmission seal. It's not too hard of a job, especially compared to the front seal!
Old 11-25-2006, 10:13 AM

thanks for the inputs guys...

update: its now at the dealer, they are overnighting the seal, so it should hopefully be there by monday. hopefully i can have it back by tuesday. i loved the service, they got me a rental, even though its an 06 corolla "S"hahahaha, it was pretty cool to have another car to drive. this is my first time ever leaving my car with a dealer, so of course, i'm a little nervous. the mechanic sounded like he knew what he was talking about, but he has never done one. we got on the subject of the diff, and he said they use a hypoid gear lube, does this sound right? isnt that for the crv's? anyways, i hope they put in the new honda mtf, i think i'm gonna call them and request that.

i'll give an update once i have the car again.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:04 PM

sucks on a new car, but at least they are taking care of you. good luck.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The correct oil for the differential in our car is hypoid gear oil (GL4 or GL5 rated). It's stinky stuff due to the high sulfur cntent. It is NOT the same lubricant that is used in the CRV differential! Some dealers incorrectly used the CRV lube in S2000 differentials with disasterous results.

Also, do NOT use hypoid gear oil in the transmission. Use Honda MTF or equivalent.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:49 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

CoralDoc Posted on Nov 25 2006, 11:04 PM
The correct oil for the differential in our car is hypoid gear oil (GL4 or GL5 rated).
To quote the manual.. SAE 90 GL-5 Hypoid gear oil

It's stinky stuff due to the high sulfur content.
Not all SAE 90 GL-5 oils stink (like sulphur)
LE-607 doesn't.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:01 PM

yeah, 607 doesnt have a very strong scent.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:15 AM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

Your dif is likely fine. The trans leak will blow oil to the back of the car from being in motion, making it appear you have other leaks.

Quick Reply: found the tranny leak