S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Found a cheap solution for water ingestion fears on CAI's

Old 06-18-2003, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found a cheap solution for water ingestion fears on CAI's

I just bought a Rytek Heat Shield for 30 bucks shipped. Stainless steel and should do the job of deflecting any rain water away from the filter. I also ordered a reducer and new straight silicone hose coupler from hose techniques as well as their t-clamps. I'll take pics when everything shows up.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh shit, here we go again...

Rain water will NOT cause hydrolocking, and this shield will not prevent heavy water ingestion if you completely submerge the filter. The small amounts of water ingested through rain hitting the filter can actually be beneficial to its operation.
Old 06-18-2003, 01:03 PM

No need to jump down my throat. The shield WILL prevent injestion of rain/drain water. Thanks for the physics lesson re: driving through a deep puddle.

And, just for the record, although I'm sure you know this, water injestion that causes stumbling is NOT water injection - saying that injesting an unknown quantity and quality of water is akin to water injection is just silly.

If i want to spend 30 bucks to ease my fear of water injestion - who are you to tell me not to? Should I also not get two locks on my door because you have determined that my neighborhood is safe or put multiple coats of Zaino on my car because one coat is just fine in your opinion?? Go troll somewhere else.

Old 06-18-2003, 01:04 PM

and btw - "oh shit - here we go again"
Old 06-18-2003, 03:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry spoon...there have just been so many of these threads lately it becomes a real bother. I know, I can choose not to read them, but the moment someone stops watching for wives tales and such everyone suddenly believes (especially the newbies) and it goes downhill fast.

Any water you ingest will be filtered to the same degree that air would be, so that shouldn't be a concern. Unless you totally block off the air passage through multiple twists and turns, though, you'll still get a bit of water in the filter. The amount of rain water sucked up by the intake is minimal unless you run it through a puddle, so I would say it's a safe bet that water injection systems put more water into the cylinders than a rain cloud will.

Again, didn't mean to make it an attack, and I'm certainly not here to tell you what you should and should not put on your vehicle...just trying to make sure a bit of logic is put behind this recent wave of hydrolock scare.
Old 06-18-2003, 04:40 PM

Ok.

I think that based on the angle of the pipe (4ig) in my car - water dripping down over several hours in a downpour could fill the lower pipe easily. This is just cheap insurance to make sure it doesnt happen. Sort of like the upgraded silicone connectors (probably overkill) and t-bolt clamps (definitely overkill).
Old 06-19-2003, 04:54 AM

umm.... well spoon, I know Mac (Dan) personally and I'm sure he meant well. Sometimes Dan just jumps the gun....hehehe just picking on ya D We all have different idea's about some things and talking about them on this board sometimes helps us to understand things in different ways.

But it looks like you guys have figured it out
Old 06-19-2003, 12:50 PM

check out LordMagnet's post - apparent hydrolock due to water accumulation.

comments?
Old 06-19-2003, 02:37 PM

I'm interested in your solution. Where'd you buy it?
Old 06-19-2003, 04:45 PM

I found it at a local place in Hamden CT - but if you search on Injen heat shield (50$) or Rytek Heat Shield (25-30) you can find them many places online.

Quick Reply: Found a cheap solution for water ingestion fears on CAI's