S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Forgot to wet the o-ring with oil.

Old 11-19-2006, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Forgot to wet the o-ring with oil.

Did my 1st. oil change yesterday. I always wet the oil filter o-ring before I put it back on the car. And for some reason I completely forgot to do it on this car.
I drove about 40 miles already and there is no leak or anything. Should I be keeping my eyes on the filter to make sure it is sealed properly ?
Old 11-19-2006, 09:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely worry. I'd say redo your oil change. I forgot to oil my o ring the last oil change and yesterday the oil filter lossened up on the rode and now my car/engine bay are covered in oil and theres a chance of damage done to my engine.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:57 AM

oiling the gasket is not to help it seal but to prevent it from being stuck on come your next oil change.
did you wipe the mounting surface clean of oil as well? if you did then make sure you have a good oil filter wench handy come your next oil change.
when you originally removed your oil filter oil spilled out onto the mounting surface and if you did not clean this area off before you installed the new filter w/o oiling the gasket, that oil will get onto the gasket for you.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:02 AM

I did clean the mounting surface. And I did tight the oil filter down pretty good with a oil filter wrench. I just wipe my fingure at the bottom of the oil filter and there not a drop under there.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:47 AM

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

You're not supposed to use an oil filter wrench to tighten your filter. You'll get it way too tight. You're supposed to screw the filter on until you have contact, then tighten it by hand another 3/4 turn. Without wetting the gasket initially, you're going to have a heck of a time getting that filter off if you wait several months.

I suggest that you wait until your engine is clold, then unscrew your filter, wet the gasket and screw it back in correctly. If you wait until the engine is cold, you may avoid any oil dripping when you do this. To be on the safe side, I suggest you put something underneath it to catch the small amount of oil you may get.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:57 AM

I would take it off, lube up the gasket and put it back on. This time don't use the filter wrench to put it on.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think if you used the wrench and didn't wet the gasket you may have torn or unseated the gasket from the filter? Put it this way, I forgot to wet the gasket on my oil filter, it slowly backed off and when I just took it off the gasket wasn't seated anymore on one side.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:45 PM

O.k you guys got me alittle nervous. So I just went to mine garage and unscrew the filter, wet the o-ring, and hand tight the filter back. Very little oil loss.
Thanks. guys for all your opinion.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DONT WORRY if you tight it enough its fine... if you have a oil tigher i cant remember whats it called anyways if you know what i mean just tight it with that... not too much......
Old 11-19-2006, 01:15 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmgpw04,Nov 19 2006, 02:06 PM
DONT WORRY if you tight it enough its fine... if you have a oil tigher i cant remember whats it called anyways if you know what i mean just tight it with that... not too much......

what?

Quick Reply: Forgot to wet the o-ring with oil.