S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

forced induction or not

Old 10-09-2015, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default forced induction or not

i am curious to figure out if the my06 that i purchased was previously supercharged. it has had a hondat reflash and a cai
any thoughts on this appreciated
Attached Thumbnails forced induction or not-dsc05810.jpg  
Old 10-09-2015, 09:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure why those two items would lead you to believe it was supercharged?

There's no harnesses or clips out of place which is a normal occurrence with supercharger install, no obvious signs of anything else being molested or moved. In my opinion, I doubt it. Possible? Sure. But doubtful.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:11 PM

Thanks for the info. I could not tell by looking. Did not know what to look for.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:44 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Did the previous owner not discuss history of the car with you? Granted he/she could have lied, but maybe start with that.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:56 AM

We did not discuss it. He had just licensed the car for the maximum intending to keep it but got a good job offer out of state and put his house and this car up to make the move easier he kept his DD. The car runs great and I have paerwotk from day one but wondered why the cai and reflash don't have paper for the reflash just wondering how to tell and mm3wolik says it appears not so I like that see above post. Thank you for your reply.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:59 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The crank pulley does not look like it has been removed. That would be a dead giveaway...but one could always replace the bolt. The pulley also doesn't have any holes in it that are often used to mate the other pulley. Still, one could replace it with an unmodified crank pulley...but the bolt doesn't look like it's been played with.

I don't think it's really worth worrying about, as superchargers really aren't all that hard on these motors unless you go really high in boost (yes, it's still way more than stock). If it's not burning all of its oil in a month, it's probably fine. Either way, it doesn't look like it has been. I'd question the choice of the CAI more, as the stock intake is pretty excellent. The CAI explains the reflash, though.

A really good way to tell is to see if some of the black trim on the drivers side behind the bumper has been drilled to make room for hoses for a heat exchanger. That's something that someone wouldn't cover up most likely. They would be 2 holes close to an inch in diameter on the black trim portion of the bumper.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by steven975
The crank pulley does not look like it has been removed. That would be a dead giveaway...but one could always replace the bolt. The pulley also doesn't have any holes in it that are often used to mate the other pulley. Still, one could replace it with an unmodified crank pulley...but the bolt doesn't look like it's been played with.

I don't think it's really worth worrying about, as superchargers really aren't all that hard on these motors unless you go really high in boost (yes, it's still way more than stock). If it's not burning all of its oil in a month, it's probably fine. Either way, it doesn't look like it has been. I'd question the choice of the CAI more, as the stock intake is pretty excellent. The CAI explains the reflash, though.

A really good way to tell is to see if some of the black trim on the drivers side behind the bumper has been drilled to make room for hoses for a heat exchanger. That's something that someone wouldn't cover up most likely. They would be 2 holes close to an inch in diameter on the black trim portion of the bumper.
Thx for the explanation of the reflash and tips to look for the 2 drilled holes. The original owner is a surgeon and has sold his house and this car. kept his 1965 jag and lexus and moved. out of state. I just took a cellphone pic of the pulley see what you think. I have his new number and he is a friend of a friend but i hate to bother him with this. Also would like to know how to tell for future reference. Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails forced induction or not-img_20151010_132121_639.jpg  
Old 10-13-2015, 01:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A lot of people who Autocross these cars do those two items. Your probably overly worried about it. If anything that would be someone's concern over a supercharger. Has this car been launched several hundred times, driven really hard, etc as an Autocross car.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Honestly, just get a compression leak down test. if those are within spec than don't worry about it.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:38 PM

That crank pulley look really old so I would say "no it hasn't been supercharged" cause if it was than it would've been using the supercharger pulley and the oem pulley would be put away in storage so it should be nice and clean...intake and flash pro are easiest mod 1 can do to abstract more power from these engine....

Quick Reply: forced induction or not