S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Fooling the stock steering rack?

Old 04-09-2008, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fooling the stock steering rack?

A universal criticism of the S2000 by automotive reviewers and enthusiasts has been the lack of steering "feel". It is fairly well established that the speed-sensitive steering rack is responsible for this, as it damps feedback.

In some cases, I've seen posters here unplug the rack altogether, which probably improves feel considerably, though at the cost of high effort at low speeds.

So, here's my solution: I have the specs for the vehicle and engine speed signals that are sent to the steering rack's processor (vehicle speed: 5V, 1 Hz = 1 mph. Engine speed: +10V, 1/30 Hz = 1 rpm) .

We could disconnect the inputs, and use a signal generator to make the power steering rack think the car is always travelling, say 30mph (pick a number), so that the rack is in effect operating in an open-loop mode.

Has anybody tried anything like this?
Old 04-09-2008, 01:40 PM

Hmm, I thought for sure that only the JDM S2K Type-V had the speed sensitive steering rack (VGS or Variable Gear Ratio Steering system).

The unplugging of the rack that you read about was to disengage the EPS (Electronic Power Steering) system in our cars. Not sure if that improved the feel of the road for users who tried it, but supposedly the EPS system is turned off after a certain speed anyway. I'm going to look around for more info.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:50 PM

Found the thread talking about the EPS, but no definites if disabling the EPS helped.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...c=527178&st=25
Old 04-09-2008, 02:26 PM

If you are looking for more feel try and after market steering weel and an x brace. I dont think they make you any faster but in my opinion does help deliver more feedback to the driver. That plus the addition of a bucket seat makes the driver feel alot more connected to the car than when it was in stock form.

Downsides - you lose the airbag (for me not too big a deal) and a comfortable bucket seat is usually not that cheap
Old 04-09-2008, 04:59 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

What the OP is talking about is not VGS but "speed dependent assistance".

Personally it sounds like a good idea to try. But I'd try using a YellowBox/Jacket first.

These devices are used for correcting the speedo when changing final ratio by intercepting and adjusting the speed pulse. But we could try installing it on the speedo pulse to the steering. Might be just the trick if they can adjust it far enough.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:09 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I installed one of these:

The lower connection points are on the steering rack mounts. Provides a bit more feel transmitted through to the steering.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=414779
Old 04-09-2008, 08:17 PM

Yay, I good at English!

:sigh: learn something new everyday. Thanks for the clarification Aus.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by AusS2000,Apr 9 2008, 07:59 PM

What the OP is talking about is not VGS but "speed dependent assistance".

Personally it sounds like a good idea to try. But I'd try using a YellowBox/Jacket first.

These devices are used for correcting the speedo when changing final ratio by intercepting and adjusting the speed pulse. But we could try installing it on the speedo pulse to the steering. Might be just the trick if they can adjust it far enough.
Hmm... I never would have thought of that.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by spinpio,Apr 9 2008, 04:50 PM
Found the thread talking about the EPS, but no definites if disabling the EPS helped.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...c=527178&st=25
Just read through this thread- it looks like they were discussing saving power by disconnecting the rack, which is a bit silly.

I've also read the posts in this thread discussing the use of braces (thanks for those replies), which would imply that flexibility of the rack mounts is leading to some of the lack of feedback.

Wow- so I've just finished reading this:

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Technical/eps.htm

Which includes the following, definitely interesting, text:

The system has three operating modes: a "normal" control mode in which left or right power assist is provided in response to input from the steering torque and rotation sensor's inputs; a "return" control mode which is used to assist steering return after completing a turn; and a "damper" control mode that changes with vehicle speed to improve road feel and dampen kickback.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:58 AM

try messing around with your alignments, such as maxing out castor.

Quick Reply: Fooling the stock steering rack?