S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Flywheel Advantage

Old 08-03-2004, 07:53 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Hyper-X,Aug 3 2004, 04:45 AM
I'm not trying to disrespect your knowledge and most likely a higher level of education than my poor bum arse, however how does a flywheel store energy when it's not even moving? A flywheel gains energy through motion (spinning) doesn't it? A motionless flywheel has zero stored energy however it does have a much higher resistance to movement due to its higher mass... or am I missing something here?

Thanks.
Hyper-X, I'm not sure that this has been explicitly stated... But the flywheel is attached directly to the crank of the engine. So if the engine is spinning, the flywheel is spinning. That's how the flywheel stores energy.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL. ok let me restate this so that maybe albert einstein can understand where im coming from. i dont profess to know all, i only quote from my personal knowledge base. yes i have a thick hide and wont cry at your retorts as you so think i may. actually mr USA i have no problems conveying thoughts and ideas to others, i have a degree in public relations and business management. and i was out of the books over a decade ago, and have since proven what i am stating by making oh i dont know, several thousands of passes down a drag strip, and daily driving cars with nitrous and such, since the early 90s. i have no reason and no wish, to come here and have a who knows more arguement. my original intent was to provide a little info for some of the folks on here, sorry that it offends you that im humble enough to quote someone else who may have worded my idea better than i. i thought that chunk of article may help some to get their brain working, and maybe do some studying so they could come to their own conclusion.
but i guess my providing info to the likes, may have offended you in the way that you assumed i was trying to put your knowledge down. not so. anyways, hope that many learned from this. and i hope the lame arguing ends. sorry if offense was taken. im no ass, but i wont stand to be put down. not my style. laters dave
Old 08-03-2004, 10:32 AM

cave man style:

act pressure plate + oem clutch + comptech flywheel = a-lot better than full oem set-up + no regrets at all

Money saving tip of the day:

offer your honda tech a case of his favorite beverage, and get all of the above installed ( plus throw out bearing and pilot bearing ) for $0.00 labor. just use the tsb 00-54 for clutch noise under deceleration (they pay for labor and clutch disk, you pay for act pressure plate www.horsepowerfreaks.com, comptech flywheel, oem throwout bearing, and oem pilot bearing)

this should save you around $700.00 to $1000 in labor costs. if you try to do it your self, I heard it is one of the hardest things to do on our cars (starter bolt)
Old 08-03-2004, 10:41 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by S2oooNvegas,Aug 3 2004, 11:08 AM
LOL. ok let me restate this so that maybe albert einstein can understand where im coming from. i dont profess to know all, i only quote from my personal knowledge base. yes i have a thick hide and wont cry at your retorts as you so think i may. actually mr USA i have no problems conveying thoughts and ideas to others, i have a degree in public relations and business management. and i was out of the books over a decade ago, and have since proven what i am stating by making oh i dont know, several thousands of passes down a drag strip, and daily driving cars with nitrous and such, since the early 90s. i have no reason and no wish, to come here and have a who knows more arguement. my original intent was to provide a little info for some of the folks on here, sorry that it offends you that im humble enough to quote someone else who may have worded my idea better than i. i thought that chunk of article may help some to get their brain working, and maybe do some studying so they could come to their own conclusion.
but i guess my providing info to the likes, may have offended you in the way that you assumed i was trying to put your knowledge down. not so. anyways, hope that many learned from this. and i hope the lame arguing ends. sorry if offense was taken. im no ass, but i wont stand to be put down. not my style. laters dave
I'm not here to put anyone down either Dave.
But like I said in my last post, don't expect anyone else on this forum to take a Snip from you without you hearing it either.
My point has been stated, it's pretty darn close to the mark, and has remained consistent. You ranted on and shifted your angle in an attempt to perhaps recover your sense of pride that may have been injured after my reply to your earlier posts. You shouldn't have taken it the way you did, your point was flawed and I expressed why I thought it was. You replied by splattering down a few words from a physics text and then insulting my intelligence.
This would have been okay if didn't have a clue what I was talking about and your position was correct, and at the very least ... well conceived. However, your position was not solid and your postings were less informative and more condescending.
I'm no more intelligent than anyone else here on the board. I'm not Einstein, a bookworm (my girlfriend would die laughing on that one), or Mr. USA for that matter. Just your friendly neighborhood S2000 owner who enjoys sharing points of view.

(... you quoted Gene Berg ...?)

Cheers
Once again, my apologies to the membership.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:44 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jetguy,Aug 3 2004, 12:32 PM
cave man style:

act pressure plate + oem clutch + comptech flywheel = a-lot better than full oem set-up + no regrets at all

Money saving tip of the day:

offer your honda tech a case of his favorite beverage, and get all of the above installed ( plus throw out bearing and pilot bearing ) for $0.00 labor. just use the tsb 00-54 for clutch noise under deceleration (they pay for labor and clutch disk, you pay for act pressure plate www.horsepowerfreaks.com, comptech flywheel, oem throwout bearing, and oem pilot bearing)

this should save you around $700.00 to $1000 in labor costs. if you try to do it your self, I heard it is one of the hardest things to do on our cars (starter bolt)
did exactly that (plus a few bones so he could treat his wife to a nice dinner out). Same setup, same smile.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=jetguy,Aug 3 2004, 02:32 PM] Money saving tip of the day:
Old 07-21-2010, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by slipstream444,Aug 1 2004, 11:57 AM
My first FW/PP upgrade was the Toda FW and the Mugen PP. I have a stock motor and it slipped after no more than 3,000 miles of use. King was kind enough to refund my money and I bought the Comptech FW/ACT PP combo and have had no problems at all with at all - Love that combo. I'm using the OEM disc and it works well with just about any aftermarket (conventional) clutch.
I just got a Fidanza flywheel and Exedy OEM clutch. I am running stock. Will I have problems with it slipping in the future or warping??