S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Flywheel Advantage

Old 08-01-2004, 11:59 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by S2oooNvegas,Aug 1 2004, 05:54 PM
The concept of torque in physics, also called moment ... bla bla bla... it also makes the car much harder to get moving IE loss of torque. read some on kinetic energy. once an object is ... bla bla bla ... if its weight increase ... bla bla bla ... becomes exponential.
anyways, laters folks. dave

Looks like you quoted a text book my friend. You need to get back in that text book, read it fully, get someone to help you better understand it, move onto statics, thermo, dynamics (all while getting help), and then post.

For the record, I have a very strong background in calculus-based physics (straight 'A's back in my college days) and understand the principles of kinetic energy very well. Additionally, the principles involved with describing the properties associated with a flywheel are covered throughout the physics continuum from Physics 1 through advanced and applied Dynamics (and on). I
Old 08-02-2004, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by SLO-S2000,Aug 2 2004, 12:20 AM
I have the Comptech Lightweight with ACT HD PP and OEM disc...for everybody that says the car is harder to get moving...thats sad. I will admit since I had the new clutch/flywheel, I stalled the car ONCE. It was the very first stop light I came to after getting it installed. And I would say it was more of the Pressure Plates fault for the lower/stonger/gripier engagement...I tried to slip it out too far too fast without enough gas.

I haven't stalled it since then...I love the set-up. I works great and shifts smoother...I'm going to do a full wirte up on my opinion of it right after I ride in another stock S and compare. But the car does feel noticeably faster in the lower gears...not as noticeable in higher gears. I have also noticed slightly faster "trap speeds" on my normal local on ramps...about a 2mph average on a couple of them...where I'd used to get up to 88-92 I now get to 91-94...

I personally see NO disadvantages to the Comptech Flywheel. Advantages are not HUGE but they are noticeable and they make the car more fun (if that was possible). But again, I really see no disadvantages to having one...if your getting the clutch done...throw one of these in too.

Ditto
Old 08-02-2004, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by blue03s2k,Aug 2 2004, 12:43 AM
just wondering on the difference of the clutch engagement point once the aftermarket setup is put in.. (comptech fw, act clutch, and act pp)
No difference in engagement point - heavier pedal effort (Comptech FW, ACT PP, OEM disc) - but I like it much more.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:32 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slipstream444,Aug 2 2004, 12:59 AM

Looks like you quoted a text book my friend. You need to get back in that text book, read it fully, get someone to help you better understand it, move onto statics, thermo, dynamics (all while getting help), and then post.

BIG SNIP

If I were to guess, I'd say you didn't read the article on the website I posted above either. Unfortunate, because it would have demonstrated the other benefits associated with reducing any mass that rotates at 'crank speed'. However, that's another topic all together (and I'm spent!).

For everyone else who labored through this post - my most sincere apologies for the length of this post.
Well, that about covers it. Thanks for the informative post Slipstream. Everything I've experienced with lightened flywheel cars jibes with what you say.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your input, slipstream. I will rethink my strategy for the drivetrain.
Old 08-02-2004, 02:58 AM

Umm...slipstream are smart
Old 08-02-2004, 10:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=slipstream444,Aug 1 2004, 11:59 PM]

For the record, I have a very strong background in calculus-based physics (straight 'A's back in my college days) and understand the principles of kinetic energy very well. Additionally, the principles involved with describing the properties associated with a flywheel are covered throughout the physics continuum from Physics 1 through advanced and applied Dynamics (and on). I
Old 08-02-2004, 11:03 AM

In all this equation of lighter flywheels and heavy duty pressure plates, how does a higher final gear like the 4.44 and the 4.77 have an effec on accelaration?
Old 08-02-2004, 01:38 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfredo,Aug 2 2004, 01:03 PM
In all this equation of lighter flywheels and heavy duty pressure plates, how does a higher final gear like the 4.44 and the 4.77 have an effec on accelaration?
The easiest way to explain this is it would be "like" adding another slightly bigger sprocket to the set on the back wheel of your bicycle.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:53 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SLO-S2000,Aug 2 2004, 01:12 PM

nice post slipstream

Also, something I might add. Now "we" know the car with the heavier flywheel is easier to get started because of more stored energy/torque. Now what if car A is stock, and car B is stock apart from Lightweight Flywheel, and stronger/heavier pressure plate. That heavier pressure plate should help the car get started faster because it engages the clutch quicker and with more force, right? So by having the Pressure plate, it helps to get rid of the "hard to get startedness" of the lighter flywheel, right?

All that might be needed is a few more revs (couple hundred) while engaging the clutch which will be come second nature in the first 10minutes.
No, a stronger pressure plate that grabs quicker/harder will make a car with a lightweight flywheel even harder to get started. Since its on/off character gives you less opportunity to modulate the friction by slipping the clutch, you're more likely to fully engage the clutch before the engine can get above its stall speed. Therefore it's much easier to stall the engine. Even with giving the car extra revs, it's easy to dump the clutch without intending to, and while the car will lurch forward for a little bit, it'll likely stall.

Quick Reply: Flywheel Advantage