S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

fluttering/ticking noise

Old 09-18-2007, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fluttering/ticking noise

ill try to make this clear and brief. a few weeks ago i noticed a fluttering noise coming from under the hood while i was driving. i looked underneath the hood and i believe the noise is coming from the head. it doesn't ALWAYS happen though; thats the weird part. its completely random and i could drive for an hour without it making it, and then it'll randomly start. i searched and came up with the timing chain tensioner problem. i went to honda and asked about it and they said the sound i was describing wouldnt be from the tensioner. they said it would be more of a "metal scraping metal" sound rather than a fluttering. they also could not diagnose it because it was one of those days where the sound was almost not "hearable"; although since im so tuned into it now, i could hear it very slightly. any ideas? the car doesn't seem to have lost ANY power so thats sort-of reassuring. and the sound usually happens between 2500 - 4000 rpms when im just cruising (not spirited driving). MY00 w/ 75k on it. thanks for any help.

-Chris
Old 09-18-2007, 11:55 AM

Have you gotten your valves adjusted recently?
Old 09-18-2007, 12:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My advice to you:
Go back to your Honda dealer and tell the service guy that he is a moron and doesn't deserve to live.
As a general rule, Honda techs are clueless, incompetent fools and will do more harm than good. And then they'll overcharge you for it.

The TCT failure sounds exactly as you describe... a "fluttering" sound. The best description is a "playing card in a bicycle spoke". Go buy a $5 automotive stethoscope. When the sound is happening, put the stethscope up to the back of the TCT and you will hear the sounds as plain as day.

If you don't, then it's not the TCT.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:23 PM

mew002 - yeh i forgot to add, before i went in for them to diagnose the TCT, i got my valves adjusted and it did nothing.

mxt_77 - yes!! card in bicycle spokes is EXACTLY what it sounds like; its so ghetto that i find myself dropping it to neutral when i pass by people who are walking outside. thanks ill try the stethoscope test before i bring it back.

-Chris
Old 09-18-2007, 03:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mxt_77,Sep 18 2007, 03:17 PM
My advice to you:
Go back to your Honda dealer and tell the service guy that he is a moron and doesn't deserve to live.

The TCT failure sounds exactly as you describe... a "fluttering" sound. The best description is a "playing card in a bicycle spoke". Go buy a $5 automotive stethoscope. When the sound is happening, put the stethscope up to the back of the TCT and you will hear the sounds as plain as day.

If you don't, then it's not the TCT.

a local guy here had the same issue.

he diagnosed it on s2ki - took it to many Honda Dealers and they wouldn't do the work for him, they said that wasn't it.

It got replaced at a local mod day - problem solved.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:22 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

If you don;'t want to buy a stethescope, use a LONG screwdriver. Place the blade of the screwdriver against the TCT and the handle to your ear.

I also agree it sounds like you are describing the TCT, and I also agree that the techs at the dealership are generally morons.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:51 PM

thanks for the help guys - im gonna try either the stethoscope or the screw-driver test tomorrow. ill post the results back here.

off topic: everyone in this thread has a silverstone

-Chris
Old 09-18-2007, 04:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's creepy. Maybe they only put defective TCTs in Silverstone S2000s. It's a conspiracy, dammit. Because they knew that Silverstone is the fastest color!
Old 09-18-2007, 04:59 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Just another case of the MAN keepin' us down.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:25 AM

also, do you have a cold air intake? If you do, and it bolts up the same way my injen does, check the lower mounting bracket down close to the subframe. Again, its just a thought.. but if its on a little bracket where you can slide it back and forth and tighten the nut down, make sure its slid all the way back. I thought I had a tct problem I was getting that noise between 2 and 3k rpms it turns out my intake was vibrating on the frame of the car at those rpms..

Quick Reply: fluttering/ticking noise