S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Is flushing the gearbox and diff a good idea?

Old 10-26-2018, 04:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default Is flushing the gearbox and diff a good idea?

My fluids have been way too long in the gearbox and diff (several years). Now im picking new fluids and will change the fluids soon myself.

Will all the fluid and dirt come out by simply letting it poor out via the drain hole? Or will it be wise to buy an extra quart (litre) to "flush" thru the gearbox and diff with the drain hole still opened, so it can wash out all the dirty old fluid that is left behind?

And I mean to flush it with the same oil that I will use to fill. Nothing else. So just pooring it in freshly after full drain and letting it drain again to pick up all the leftovers to get a clean fresh start.

Worth the money or am I just wasting money?

Please advise. Thanks!

Old 10-26-2018, 05:39 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,037 Posts

If it makes you feel better... just run the next change for say, 500 miles. Then, go to regular intervals after that. I've done that with newly rebuilt engines.

Old 10-27-2018, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by windhund116
If it makes you feel better... just run the next change for say, 500 miles. Then, go to regular intervals after that. I've done that with newly rebuilt engines.

Ibe neber done it myself so I dont know how much work it is and I have to work on the street and too much work jacking all 4 wheels up etc especially in winter. Besides I would waste 2 litre for the gearbox! Is it much work? But thanks for the tip

It is important the car is flat right? Or can you change the diff and gearbox by just raising the rear? Ive hear it needa to be flat level.
Old 10-27-2018, 01:50 AM

Received 451 Likes on 378 Posts

Just pouring through new oil would be a waste, I would just do the next change a bit earlier. You will know how much work it is by then and if it's worth it
Yes car needs to be level.
Might be worth going to a diy garage with a lift if you have those were you live, it wont take much time so shouldn't be expensive.
Old 10-27-2018, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by flanders
Just pouring through new oil would be a waste, I would just do the next change a bit earlier. You will know how much work it is by then and if it's worth it
Yes car needs to be level.
Might be worth going to a diy garage with a lift if you have those were you live, it wont take much time so shouldn't be expensive.
I have looked for those in the past but unfortunately they dont exist here. Would make things much easier indeed.

Can I just reuse the old washers or do i need to buy new ones from the dealer or carshop?
Old 10-27-2018, 04:25 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,233 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Honda specifies these washers are one time use. They're available on line. These are crush washers with a specific torque setting needed. You should get a new engine drain plug washer when you buy the genuine, specific Honda S2000 oil filter at a Honda dealer. Make sure the parts guy includes it.

Someone whose notes are handier than mine will post the Honda part numbers and several others will chime in that they've been using the same washers for years and don't bother with a torque wrench either.

Oil is cheap and flushing out these areas with an extra quart of oil certainly won't hurt. I agree with a short maintenance cycle recommendation since you have some concerns. Change 'em all again in 1000 (2000) miles. You'll have time to find a facility in that time. And hopefully a place to garage your car every night. As noted oil is cheap.

-- Chuck

Last edited by Chuck S; 10-27-2018 at 04:30 AM.
Old 10-27-2018, 05:07 AM

Received 1,397 Likes on 837 Posts

More effective than a flush, is warming up the car with a drive.

Any particles will settle to the floor of the dif/trans/engine as the car sits. If you drain them cold, oil suction will hold these contaminants in place and they will not come out.

Warming up the car brings these contaminants into suspension in the fluid, so they come out during draining.

Warm the car, have your tools/ramps ready, and drain fluids immediately after shutdown.

As far as washers, you can reuse if you know how to inspect. A washer that is in good shape will be thick, and lift off the plug.

75% of the washers I see for engine/dif/trans are re-useable. Replace if unsure.

Old 10-27-2018, 07:06 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

I typically pour in a little oil after the drain to try and flush out anything that might have been left behind. Not by any means a whole quart. Just like a pump or two (I use a hand pump that fits in the bottle).

I usually do this with engine oil too.

My reasoning is that while the initial draining pours out vigorously, and would carry with it anything in suspension, at the end of the draining its just a light stream. It might not have the momentum and might leave some contaminants at the edge of the drain. Pouring in a bit to get one last high momentum flow might take whatevers there with it.

Perhaps its foolishness, but if its wasting anything, its not much.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:53 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

I try to drain everything when warmed up like Billman says. Someone trained me to do it that way as a kid. I think it seems to drain quicker and more completely. I never realized it also pulls out contaminates better. Makes total sense.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:54 PM

Received 208 Likes on 180 Posts

Its always good practice to drain oils after they're at operating temp.

Quick Reply: Is flushing the gearbox and diff a good idea?