S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

fluid changes complete, thanks goes to Xviper for tips

Old 12-29-2003, 08:23 PM
KLN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey xviper.

i think i remember in one of your post before that you mentioned that people are starting to fill either the tranny or differential with "extra" fluid, more than what the manual says...

is this true or am i just going crazy?
Old 12-29-2003, 08:36 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by KLN
hey xviper.

i think i remember in one of your post before that you mentioned that people are starting to fill either the tranny or differential with "extra" fluid, more than what the manual says...

is this true or am i just going crazy?
You're not going crazy. This was originally stated by another member here who has considerable experience in tearing the tranny apart. He noticed that the pick up for the tranny fluid pump was quite high and he modified the pickup to reach a bit lower. He suggested that those who did not want to go to this effort can simply overfill by a couple of hundred cc without any adverse effects. The benefits would be better fluid volume to keep the pump fed during those vigorous driving times. More fluid meant the heat could be distributed better.
Also, having taken the diff apart myself, I'm of the belief that overfilling the diff by 50-100 cc could also be beneficial. Since the diff has a vent, if the overfill was detrimental, the excess could easily be puked out. If you don't track the car, this is really not a concern. I don't get too anal about it. I squeeze "a little bit more" beyond the required volume when I do my changes.
I cannot preach doing this since the best procedure is to follow the manual. If you are concerned about warranty, this is the best route to take. Those of us who overfill do so at our own risk and must own up to any consequences. So far, there has been none for me and all has worked well.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:50 PM
KLN

Cool, thanks for the reply
Old 12-30-2003, 07:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by xviper
I'm sure RR will tell us what it's for when he sees this.
Sulfur compounds are the most effective EP (extreme pressure) additives yet developed. They have replaced calcium and other minerals once is use. They are the main ingredient that allowed gear lubes to go from GL-4 to GL-5. I am not aware of any lube meeting the GL-5 spec that does not use it, although there may be somewhere. That is the reason they all stink to high heaven.

Now, once again I caution about use of GL-5 in transmissions not designed for it - the sulfurs, especially what are known as "active sulfurs", can be harmful to trannies using yellow metals in them, like bronze.

Here is a link I have had for a while that says it as well as I can, and saves me the retyping - hey Xviper, it's Canadian content!:

http://www.sbcc.ca/tech/lube1.htm
Old 01-28-2004, 10:07 PM

Thanx for all the advices and stories posted guys.... i'll be doing the oil change for the first time on my own!!! Wish me luck....

Andrew
Old 01-29-2004, 05:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeff - You're turning into quite the mechanic! It's very satisfying, isn't it ?
Old 01-29-2004, 05:46 AM

I tried changing the fluids at Honda. The different they were asking 150 bucks and transmission I think like 80-100 bucks.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:24 AM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Coraldoc - Absolutely, there's nothing like knowing you did the job and and made sure it was done right. If I learn how to do a couple more things (brake/clutch fluid, brake pads, etc.), the car might never see a mechanic unless something REALLY breaks.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jeffbrig
Coraldoc - Absolutely, there's nothing like knowing you did the job and and made sure it was done right.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:56 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chazmo
I have to check whether the dealer did my diff fluid at the 15K.

Quick Reply: fluid changes complete, thanks goes to Xviper for tips