S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

fluid changes complete, thanks goes to Xviper for tips

Old 12-29-2003, 06:38 AM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts
Default fluid changes complete, thanks goes to Xviper for tips

On Friday I changed out the oil, transmission, and diff fluids in my 2002. All in all, not a bad afternoon, probably 3 hours to do all 3 fluids, and that includes drain time.

My first big surprise was that my old floor jack won't actually fit under my stock height S2000. Good thing I had some 2x8's in the garage from some project, otherwise it would have been a slow start indeed.

Engine oil - last changed at 5900 miles, this time at 9300. Went to Mobile1 10w30 synthetic with new Honda PCX filter from handaaccessories. The old oil was quite dark, but no different than other cars after a few thousand miles. The car seems to idle smoother on synthetic. As others have suggested, the VTEC transition appears to be smoothed out a little - less of a jolt, but the pull is the same. to Xviper for recommending an aluminum foil bib to keep the oil off the engine when changing the filter.

Transmission - This is the first time I've changed transmission fluid on any car. I used 2 bottles of Honda MTF. Picked up a nifty filler tube at Pep Boys for $3.50 that screws right on to the bottle. The old fluid coming out looked only slightly darker than the new, but wow, what a difference. The shifter analysis component of my butt dyno says that shifting is MUCH improved. Recently I'd been thinking I was a bit off (especially before things warmed up), but the fluid change has made the gearbox feel like butter again.

Differential - This was the big surprise for me (also my first time changing diff fluid). My car is only 17 months old, with 9300 miles, and 1/3 of those were highway miles. Never been tracked, autocrossed or drag raced, or even clutch dropped, just an occasional spirited drive. However, the old fluid coming out was pretty nasty. The drain plug magnet was fully covered in a thick black slurry, but there weren't any big metal shavings or chips or anything like that. I refilled with Mobile1 75w90 synth gear oil (used a separate filler tube from Pep Boys - didn't want to mix oils). I will be very interested to see if the fluid looks better at the next change, since this was the break-in fluid. Again, to XViper for detailing the need for 23mm box end wrench and 24mm socket, neither of which was in my tool set. I would have been rather frustrated to climb under the car and then find I didn't have the right tools.

Total cost:
$8 - 1 quart 75w90
$7 - 2 quarts Honda MTF
$22 - 6 quarts Mobile 1 10w30
$5 - oil filter
$3 - new drain/fill plug washers
Old 12-29-2003, 09:17 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You're welcome. Wonderful to see yet another successful "home wrench" story with a happy ending.

Your post is another confirmation that the diff fluid should be changed somewhat early - in the first year once break in has been achieved. I'm sure you "could" leave that crud in there will little ill effects but isn't nicer to know you took it out and put fresh stuff in?
Remember, the "experiment" I did with another diff fluid showed that it was pretty much at the end of it's life span after only about 2500 miles. I'm sure Mobil 1 and other brands would be fine, but isn't it a better feeling to change it out and be sure?

The tranny fluid is probably OK to leave it as long as Honda says but as you have just shown (and many others have proven for themselves), changing it DOES make things work better. Why settle for "good enough" when you can have "improved"?
Old 12-29-2003, 03:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's posts like yours that make this Forum worthwhile.
to both you and Xviper.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:58 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I have to check whether the dealer did my diff fluid at the 15K. If not, I'll do this in the spring when Neb comes out of storage.

I've always heard that (used) diff fluid is the nastiest stuff to come out of the car. Anyone know why it's so bad? Is it just the nature of these very viscous oils??
Old 12-29-2003, 04:14 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chazmo
I have to check whether the dealer did my diff fluid at the 15K.
Old 12-29-2003, 04:44 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks, Dave. Interesting. I wonder why they need to add Sulphur. Ick!!! This might be a strong reason () to get the dealer to do it.
Old 12-29-2003, 04:49 PM

I'm sure RR will tell us what it's for when he sees this.
Old 12-29-2003, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should've changed out the diff. fluid much earlier. i changed mine out at only 2k miles and it came out dark gray and foul smelling. fluid changes are the cheapest forms of insurance for your car. i plan on changing out my diff. and tranny fluid once a year from now on, regardless of mileage.
Old 12-29-2003, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how often should one change the differential and tranny fluid??
Old 12-29-2003, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by ideugene
how often should one change the differential and tranny fluid??
I'm of the belief that the original diff fluid should be changed out in the first few thousand miles - after break in to get all the shavings and garbage out of there. Then annually. Remember that Honda dealers may not always know what proper fluid to put in there nor will they likely have the proper fluid, so take your own.
Tranny fluid is another story. The book says you can go years before changing, but it's such a relatively easy job, why not just change it annually at the same time as you do the diff fluid? The only exception to this is if you have shifting issues. Many times, a fluid change will make things work so much better. Honda MTF is quite acceptable for this.

Quick Reply: fluid changes complete, thanks goes to Xviper for tips