S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Floor jack and jackstands question

Old 06-27-2001, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Floor jack and jackstands question

Seems like one can spend anywhere from $50 to several hundred dollars for a floor jack and jackstands. For a novice who wants to do simple things like brake pad replacement, what should one look for? What differentiates a crappy product from a good product from a great product? I don't want to subject my S2000 to shoddy products, but I also don't want to buy more than I need. Thanks in advance.

Mike
Old 06-27-2001, 04:50 PM

Mike,

Sorry -- I just have mentioned this. I bought a couple of jackstands (14", I believe) and a 2-ton floor jack (not the high lift SUV version, just the plain, old 2-ton version). Total cost was $45 at Walmart last month.

I was reading on the Miata boards that Walmart also had a set of jackstands and low-profile jack for $30, with carrying bag, but I couldn't find it in Tempe.

I haven't had any problems with these, and figure that I can always get higher quality ones later, if I ever need them.

Tanq
Old 06-27-2001, 05:42 PM

If you want to go with a 3-ton and a pair of stands, Sears has them for $119. Very good quality and will last you a lifetime.
Old 06-27-2001, 05:52 PM

I second the Sear's 3-ton jack. That sucker will last a lifetime and you can pick up your car with both ease and confidence.

I bought a Walmart 2-ton kit for $30. Bought the Sears one on-sale for $100. The difference in quality was unbelievable.

JMO
Old 06-27-2001, 05:55 PM

The sears 3 ton is probably the best consumer jack out there at a reasonable cost.

-Shing
Old 06-27-2001, 06:13 PM
S2R

That sears jack is good enough to handle the installation of exhaust and header right?
Old 06-27-2001, 06:55 PM

Thanks everyone. I had a sneaking suspicion that Sears might be the way to go.

Mike
Old 06-27-2001, 06:57 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by S2R
That sears jack is good enough to handle the installation of exhaust and header right?
Almost anything will lift a light car like the S. Just make sure its lowest height will slide under the car. What you need to do the job are the jack stands. You don't want to be crawling under the car without them. Can you say, "BIG OWIE!"?
Old 06-27-2001, 07:11 PM

yes, xviper is right, NEVER work under just jacks... ALWAYS use stands.

But there's on gotcha on the 3 ton jack. For a car as low as the s2000, you will have to use the stock sissor jacks to get the car up a little, high enough to get the 3 ton under to the jack point.

-Shing
Old 06-27-2001, 07:34 PM

I happen to be an expert on hydraulic lift equipment product and application.

1. Sears Jacks - a word of note. Buy ONLY the Sears Craftsman Professional unit if you want one to last a lifetime. They are definitely a good quality consumer jack.

2. Wal-mart - There are Lincoln Jacks (an American company) available but they are actually cheap imported jacks and just painted and branded and not worth it. They are actually lower quality than the MVP branded jacks that are there. I have done tests and audits to support this. The MVP jacks are actually quite good, although I would still recommend the Sears Craftsman Professional units.

3. 3 Ton vs. 2 Ton - Basically as mentioned, 2 Tons is more than enough for light duty use. However, if you plan to do more extensive and constant use, go with the 3 Ton. It looks better too.

4. ALWAYS USE A PAIR OF JACK STANDS. - This is infinitely more important than any jack you buy.

Any other questions on lift equipment, I'll be happy to answer!

Quick Reply: Floor jack and jackstands question