S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Flickering of instrument panel

Old 08-10-2010, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like I said 3 weeks ago. It's your rectifier.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:07 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

they use 2006 service manual - i've seen it.
it looks unusual - it's service manual and electrical troubleshooting manual in one book and it's not blue but white with bordeaux stripes.
but it's genuine Honda book with content same to my 2000-2007 "blue" manuals.

anyway - they wouldn't listen.
as long as charging system pass test they don't touch it.

the fact that headlights doesn't flicker don't help.

so people who had similar problem - how were your headlights?
about the rectifier - can it be replaced? or the whole alternator assembly should be ditched?

thx,
Gennady
Old 08-10-2010, 10:56 AM

it can easily be replaced. took me about 2 hours because i was looking the manual to make sure i didnt mess nothing up but once i was done it was pretty straight foward. disconnect battery. take off drive belt. undo the back connections to alternator. undo bolts that hold the alternator. once you have the alternator start to take it apart from the back. you should have two plates covering up the rectifier. then once you removed and replace it just put the plates back and close the back of the alternator then go backwards.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:14 AM

I picked up the whole alt because I found a used one for 65$.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:20 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

the new one is ~900$ in US.
probably twice as much here.

i think that's why they try other tricks first....
Old 09-09-2014, 07:11 AM

I'm having the same problem everybody said it's alternator yet I went to two brand-new alternators thinking that they were bad then I replaced a brand-new battery Still having the same problem no other lights dim headlights don't dim brake lights don't dim audio panel don't dim radio don't dim only the cluster itself fluctuate had a Honda tech check voltage out of the battery and alternator and it's running perfect 14.6 could it be a ground wire please help spending a lot of money trying to figure this out
Old 09-09-2014, 11:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Little story
Was riding sudently light dim on the clusther 5min after lost eps 2min after EPS back 1min after lost EPS and ABS after dash light are all off and wiper are going slower what the f@#k

Get on side of the road check battery OK
Check the 10mm nut on the alternator shit is loose forget to bolt it after intake removal it been 3000mile like this before failure

Lucky my buddy got tool in is Honda vfr
Old 09-09-2014, 02:01 PM

I did put a new alternator I never checked if I tighten the first nut before the second one with the washer between them in the rear do you think that could be it
Old 03-21-2015, 03:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone resolved this issue?

Video - https://youtu.be/x85SO7c40Dg
Old 08-17-2015, 10:13 AM

Rather than start a new thread (and get the inevitable "use search, Idiot"), I thought I'd just glom onto this one.

I have a 2007, which works fine. Well, except for a very slight flickering of the dash at idle. Higher RPM gets rid of it; no use or non-use of accessories (like A/C) makes any noticeable difference. No CEL (or any codes). Voltage is 14.2. Changing batteries does not get rid of the problem. Tightening the the battery leads does not affect anything.

It's a car fully-prepared for STR autocrossing (meaning, for the purposes of this discussion, re-tuned ECU, using a Hondata). The onset of this slight flickering did not in any way coincide with any tuning.

My first thought, when I saw it and found that the flickering stopped when I revved the engine, was that the alternator is going bad. But the perfect voltage suggests that that isn't the problem.

Any educated thoughts?

Thanks.

Mark

Quick Reply: Flickering of instrument panel