S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Flashing CEL

Old 04-13-2015, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just did that and it didn't fix lol. 30 seconds later I have a flashing CEL
Old 04-13-2015, 11:17 AM

Perhaps you can start by canceling out the big issues. Perform a compression test to ensure that you're engine is healthy.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:30 PM

Okay I have a compression test around somewhere.. Just gotta find it. In the meantime, I switched coil packs with a friend of mine and the misfire still came back on at the same cylinders. Is it possible that the injectors that I bought are faulty? I mean, the old injectors gave me a CEL but it never flashed like the newer (eBay used) injectors. Also, the top of the injectors where the filter is looks slightly different.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:09 AM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

If it's not the coils and its not the injectors, then you have to check the computer outputs with a scanner, or check for continuity in the wires. If all else fails, the problem is the computer.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:08 PM

So I found my compression tester and i'll be doing it later on today. Question is, the DIY told me to warm up the engine before performing the test. Is it okay to warm up the engine if my CEL flashes?
Old 04-14-2015, 01:37 PM

Swap your injectors from 1 and 3 to 2 and 4. If the CEL follows to those cylinders, then that is your issue. If it stays at 1 and 3, then it is not. Do that with the coil pack and spark plugs as well to rule them out (do coil packs first, if the code stays, then switch over the plugs. You dont want to do both packs and plugs at the same time. You wont know which part was the reason the misfire followed). Also make sure the coilpacks have a very satisfying click or snap when you install them into the valve cover. If they are not seated correctly, it may not give the plugs enough juice to create a spark. Also make sure the clips to the coilpacks are not broken. If the clip you press to detach them is broken, just ziptie the clip tight with the coilpack to give it good signal/power.

Do a leakdown to see if you have a leak somewhere if all the above checks out. Maybe you have bad rings. Maybe your valves are out of spec. I doubt your headgasket is blown, but its not impossible.

If all else fails, take it to a reputable shop that specializes in S2000s/Hondas. They will most likely have those fancy $10,000 scanners from Snap-On that can read every vital sign the car puts out.

Good luck
Old 04-14-2015, 03:10 PM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

Well if everything else fails it has to be the computer.

You need compression fuel and spark for the car to run, and all of that is orchestrated by the ECU, if all the other systems check out, the computer is the culprit. Now you might have a bad sensor somewhere giving bad signals to the computer. You might have a faulty crank sensor, or bad cam position sensor as well. The computer thinks everything is a-ok as long as the signals it receives are within spec and not contradicting other signals.

A lot of times, an alternator with very bad diodes can cause a misfire. Remember the alternator, and any sensor that picks up rotating motion is generating an AC signal but the car works off DC. The computer has modules to convert the AC signals from those sensors to DC. If you have AC current leaking into the wiring from the alternator, it can mess with the output signals from those modules, and over time damage the ECU.

When my alternator was going bad, my dash was flickering like mad when I ran the heater, and the car would misfire. It would also do it when the A/C was on.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:02 PM

UPDATE
I performed a compression test while the engine was COLD (flashing CEL so I was afraid of warming it up) and these were the results with Cylinder 1 being first 185, 185, 180, 190. I also pulled the new injectors out and inserted the old ones back in and what do you know... NO FLASHING CEL, but the CEL is bound to come back on eventually I think.

Here are the differences I mentioned earlier about the 2 injectors with the original on the left
Flashing CEL-hxwxa55.jpg
Old 04-14-2015, 09:10 PM

Does anyone know why the 2 injectors are different?
Old 04-14-2015, 10:38 PM

What year is your s2000?
According to this post:
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/107...the-same-size/
00-05 fuel injectors are different then 06-09 fuel injectors. The fuel injector on the right looks similar to my Ap1, MY01, OEM fuel injector as seen in the pictures below.

If your s2000 is from 06-09 you cannot use fuel injectors from 00-05. If your s2000 is from 00-05 then the fuel injector on the left is not orginial to the car.

Quick Reply: Flashing CEL