S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Fixing AP1 Second Gear Grind in 2021, Synchro Replacement?

Old 08-27-2021, 08:42 AM

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks everyone for all the replies. It gives me a lot to think about.

Originally Posted by Deckoz
- replace the shifter plastics and spring?
- regrease shifter?
- flush and bleed clutch?
- replace slave cylinder piston that likely is nippled?
- regrease release bearing fork -> slave piston contact?

- adjust pedal rod on master cylinder?
I've done some of these but not everything. Will have to do more research on the ones I bolded.
The following users liked this post:
Deckoz (08-27-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 09:06 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Splines on input shaft can be a rusty sticky dried up grease of a mess as well. This friction definitely affects shift performance
Deckoz (08-27-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 09:32 AM

Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Save the Manual Wagons!
What's your preferred brand of 75w-80 GL4 syncromesh?
Would not help you, its the german brand ROWE, the oil is the HIGHTEC TOPGEAR FE SAE 75W-80 S .

I would check everything mentioned here in the thread, especially re-greasing the shifter and bleeding the clutch mechnism and then you can try different oils.
I have regreased the shifter, that helped a lot, but the final solution was the gear oil. But Kyle is right, it can work, but there is no guarantee.

All i could tell you, be carefull if you add the LM additive, this stuff works well. But less is more and it depends on the gear oil you use. But, i am very happy with the results and for me the outcome was worth the work and money.
Mine had a "Recoil" every time i shifted into 3. gear after i bought it, exactly like firing a 9mm Pistol. (No, Weapons are not illegal in Germany, thats a internet myth..) Go figure. Its gone completly.
I will continue to use this mixture.
Old 08-27-2021, 09:56 AM

Received 648 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Matchbox
Would not help you, its the german brand ROWE, the oil is the HIGHTEC TOPGEAR FE SAE 75W-80 S .

I would check everything mentioned here in the thread, especially re-greasing the shifter and bleeding the clutch mechnism and then you can try different oils.
I have regreased the shifter, that helped a lot, but the final solution was the gear oil. But Kyle is right, it can work, but there is no guarantee.

All i could tell you, be carefull if you add the LM additive, this stuff works well. But less is more and it depends on the gear oil you use. But, i am very happy with the results and for me the outcome was worth the work and money.
Mine had a "Recoil" every time i shifted into 3. gear after i bought it, exactly like firing a 9mm Pistol. (No, Weapons are not illegal in Germany, thats a internet myth..) Go figure. Its gone completly.
I will continue to use this mixture.
Guns might not be illegal, but the stuff your madman Joerg Sprave comes up with over there probably is...Fully automatic crossbows with swappable magazines etc...."LET ME SHOW YOU IT'S FEATURES! HA HA HA HA HA....." The guy better be a national treasure; I love his videos.
Mr.Matchbox (08-27-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 10:25 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Deckoz
- replace the shifter plastics and spring?
- regrease shifter?
- flush and bleed clutch?
- replace slave cylinder piston that likely is nippled?
- regrease release bearing fork -> slave piston contact?
- adjust pedal rod on master cylinder?

If your stuff is stock and old. You may just be shifting to fast with a not fully disengaged clutch. One of the above may be hampering your shift speed... because the clutch might not be fully disengaged.
Is the Honda Urea Grease still the go-to for the clutch release points? That stuff seems to crust up way too quickly under the car, so wondering if there's an alternate.
Old 08-27-2021, 10:39 AM

Received 115 Likes on 105 Posts

Royal Purple any good? LHT always mentions it.

Convenience-wise (since any big auto-store carries it), seems easier to get than ordering Amsoil.
Old 08-27-2021, 04:26 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by Jah2000
Royal Purple any good? LHT always mentions it.

Convenience-wise (since any big auto-store carries it), seems easier to get than ordering Amsoil.
Synchromax is what I've using for the last 5 years. Seems fine. I don't think it'll solve worn synchromesh issues.

Jah2000 (08-28-2021)
Old 08-28-2021, 03:39 AM

Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Sobe_Death
Is the Honda Urea Grease still the go-to for the clutch release points? That stuff seems to crust up way too quickly under the car, so wondering if there's an alternate.
"Slowcrash 101" has posted alternatives for the green Honda Uera Grease. I cant find the thread now, of course....
Old 08-28-2021, 08:16 AM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Matchbox
"Slowcrash 101" has posted alternatives for the green Honda Uera Grease. I cant find the thread now, of course....
John Dear stuff, Lucas xtra heavy, but they're not exactly the same as the Honda stuff. If you're in a pinch, fine, but if you have it, use the Honda stuff, 100%
Sobe_Death (10-05-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 06:02 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It might sound like snake oil but have you looked into getting the Ingall's engine torque damper? Here's an old thread about it and where you can buy it. I've had mine for over 8 years and I can't remember the last time I ground 2 gear.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ta...-531007/page2/
https://www.heeltoeauto.com/ingalls-...ap2-93048.html

Quick Reply: Fixing AP1 Second Gear Grind in 2021, Synchro Replacement?