S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Fixing the 2nd to 3rd Shift

Old 12-31-2014, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok update, i took the car for a drive today... I have no idea what i did but i had 1 perfect shift with no bump or anything into 3rd but for the live of me i cant recreate it. I spent the rest of the drive trying to do it again but i simply cannot. This surely isnt right? ever since i bought the car i have been wondering about the cars so called unbelievably smooth shifter, but what i have experienced is the opposite. Really hoping theres a solution to this... Have any of you had your synchros replaced? i know this might be drastic but i just dont think that 3rd gear shifts the way it should.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigS
Ok update, i took the car for a drive today... I have no idea what i did but i had 1 perfect shift with no bump or anything into 3rd but for the live of me i cant recreate it. I spent the rest of the drive trying to do it again but i simply cannot. This surely isnt right?
It could be, it could not be. It's impossible to say for certain based solely on forum posts. Your statement that seems to indicate that you should be able to shift as fast as you want without issues implies to me that you might not understand the finer details of shifting the S2000. It's tricky to say if it's hardware, operator error or even a mix.

See also threads like this:
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/967...rd-shift-feel/
Old 01-01-2015, 05:22 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Until you bleed the clutch, and preferably change the fluid at same time, there is no point further theorizing. Do that, make sure its done right (gravity bleed). Then get back to us.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:52 AM

Received 3,768 Likes on 2,658 Posts

As you've already done a couple of the basic items to aid with shifting, there are two more things that may help.

Firstly, change the clutch fluid, and clean the inside of the master cylinder of any deposits. You might have to drain and refill it a few times in a row to get it to the point where it remains clean. It is simple to do using a turkey baster type of tool/device. This isn't bleeding the clutch, but you could do that as well if you wanted, this is just getting the fluid clean and the system free of deposits. Clean fluid helps the master cylinder work properly. Once it is clean try to change the fluid a couple times a year as good maintenance, it is cheap and easy to do.

Secondly, check the clutch rod freeplay, if there is more than 1/2 inch free play lengthen the rod and close up the gap. If you have too much free play the clutch is not being disengaged quick enough for your hand-shifting movement. As you close up the clutch rod freeplay you can better coordinate your shift as the clutch is disengaged quicker as it relates to the timing of your shifting. I think this can have the most benefit to your shifting issue. It doesn't sound like you have a mechanical issue with your tranny, a small improvement in shift timing can often help.

Lastly, I agree with the suggestion on Amsoil MTF. I didn't have shifting issues with my tranny but I did try several different fluids. My tranny shifted well with Honda MTF2, but it is even better with the Amsoil MTF, and the Amsoil feels better than GM Synchromesh based on my experience. It is even better in freezing cold conditions. It is worth trying if you still aren't getting the results you are looking for. Fluid changes are cheap and easy maintenance.