S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Fix for (clutch, heatshield?) Rattle....Please....

Old 06-06-2004, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fix for (clutch, heatshield?) Rattle....Please....

My car rattles like a POS...I mean an annoying loud rattle, accelerating, decelerating, all in the 3500-4800 rpm range. It's really detracting from my enjoyment of the car. Took to the dealer and he says "clutch rattle, normal..."

this can't be "normal". I can tell the sound of the clutch rattle and I could probably live with that, but I've got buzzing and rattleing from the engine compartment...Hard to localize. it sucks...33K for the car and it sounds like a geo metro...I mean rolling to stop signs I'm embarressed People look at me like "dude, fix your car...."

HELP!
Old 06-06-2004, 10:39 AM

I did a search for "clutch rattle" and didn't really find a consensus for a fix....
Old 06-06-2004, 10:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have an 03 so I would be surprised if its the 00-01 TSB rattle but it still could be. Which means that you would need a new clutch installed. If it is the heat shield I would think that you could replicate the rattle at idle but that's not always the case.

Sounds like you need to go to a different dealer, or keep hassling your dealer since your car is still under warrenty.
Old 06-06-2004, 11:09 AM

My dealer was sour on that TSB...Honda had replaced a ton of clutches, only for the rattle to return...

I mean I am seriously considering selling the rattletrap if I can't get to the bottom of this. It's Loud ...

this can't be "normal"....
Old 06-06-2004, 11:53 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

The bulletin does not apply to 02 and up.They were built with the counter measure clutch disc. Any mods to the car which may be the source of your noise?
Old 06-06-2004, 12:10 PM

It got worse after installation of speed X-brace and STB....Spugen exhaust...but i don't think that is the problem...AEM ver 1 CAI...that can't be it...no other mods that I have could affect this noise.....
Old 06-06-2004, 12:25 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Just to be certain I'd double check that all of your
X-brace bolts are tight, the STB isn't touching or rubbing on anything, and closly inspect the exhaust for the same thing. I've found many buzzes and rattles from badly fitting exhausts, loose hardware, bent pipes hitting the body, damaged heat shields etc.
Old 06-06-2004, 12:33 PM

That's next on my list...take the car back to Spugen and have them double check the fitment...

bolts are good on X-brace and STB...

wtf
Old 06-06-2004, 12:36 PM

Also check your header heatshield, push it toward the engine (away from the battery) it will bend slightly away from metal to metal contacts. As the engine rev's it moves and vibrates the heatshield. It did in mine and a few other local guys here. And get under the car and double check the tightness of all the other exhaust heatshields. Good luck!
Old 06-06-2004, 12:37 PM

I mean I don't even want to drive the fvckin' thing...If I'm on my cell phone in the car, people on the other end of the line are like..."What's that noise....?" (normal)

Quick Reply: Fix for (clutch, heatshield?) Rattle....Please....