S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

First s2k, coolant leak problem

Old 02-07-2014, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First s2k, coolant leak problem

First off, just bought the car a week ago off my girlfriend, its an 01 ap1 with a glass rear window. Love the car but I noticed it was leaking coolant from the tube coming from the reservoir to the radiator, I got a hose clamp for that but I've still noticed my reservoir level getting lower ad lower and I can see coolant in the pic provided. I am totally lost as to how coolant can be leaking onto that area when there doesn't seem to be any coolant pipes around that. The rad is brand new and only has about 1k miles on it.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:38 AM

Received 3,529 Likes on 2,536 Posts

That coolant is probably left over from the old rad leak or the installation, rad fluid never dries up on it's own. Dry up all of the area with rad fluid and see if it returns. I would have suggested a radiator leak as they are prone to crack but you said that it is a new radiator and thus shouldn't be leaking. There is main nose straight down from that spot, there is a chance the hose is spraying fluid up to that level if you indeed have a leak, that would be the only source in that area apart from a faulty rad.

The lowering coolant level in the reservoir could be due to the cooling system not totally free of air during the bleeding process. There is always a chance that you could have a leak from any of the coolant hoses if they weren't connected properly, in addition to the multitude of small hoses that run off the cooling system - oil cooler, under throttle body, heater hoses, maybe even the water pump etc.

Open the rad cap when it is cool and see if the coolant level is below the filler neck, if so fill it up to the base of the neck, fill the reservoir up as well and monitor it for a bit and see what happens. Otherwise you need to poke around with a bright light and see if you notice any wet spots coming off the hoses. Check the drain cock and rad fan switch as well in case they are leaking. Feel around with your hands and see if you can find some wet spots.