S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

First S2000 - Won't go into first gear.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Polaris0352
Someone else can chime in to confirm this but it sounds just like the issue where it won't go into 5th because of a burr on the shift dog for 6th. If that's the case, I think it was something like shifting in and out of 6th about 100 times really rapidly (2nd for you) to smooth out the burr and then doing a bunch of accel/decel from 5k-7k to smooth it out further. Of course, I could be entirely wrong and it may be something else entirely. Just a thought.
Doesn't go into second at all, doesn't go into any gear actually when the cars on. Can only get into gear when it's off and I turn on the car in said gear.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:59 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Almost sounds like a broken clutch spring.

Here's a link to my symptoms:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/900...#entry21029045
Old 02-09-2014, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by freq
Almost sounds like a broken clutch spring.

Here's a link to my symptoms:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/900...#entry21029045
Seems like another possibility, which would be the best clutch to buy if my stage 4 is out? (was put in by previous owner)
Old 02-10-2014, 06:46 PM

Sounds like the clutch is not disengaging with the pedal. Check to see if the slave cylinder moves when you press on the pedal (you will need someone to help you with this).
Old 02-12-2014, 04:08 AM

Bump - not taking the car in till later today so willing to read some more assumptions/suggestions
Old 02-12-2014, 06:11 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Jack the car up, remember safety and use jackstands. Have someone press the clutch pedal while you observe the slave cylinder's piston. If the slave and master are working as they should then the piston should be actuating the clutch fork, I dont know how much movement you're looking for but probably around an inch? Maybe someone can chime in with that. If its moving the clutch fork then it is a problem with the clutch itself. While youre down there check for any leaks from the line or slave.

Also, check under your clutch pedal area inside the car. Usually when the master cylinder is going bad it will leak fluid. I know you said your fluid is full but you said they topped it off so its worth checking.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like a broken clutch(spring), try this though, while slowly depressing the clutch pedal down, try to move it into first gear or any gear, if it goes into gear than you may have a pedal adj. issue. but sounds to me like a clutch
Old 02-12-2014, 06:47 PM

Alright so I brought it in and they told me it might be the spring from the after market Clutch (stage 4 puck action clutch) the previous owner installed, said it would be 1.7k to replace the clutch, throw out bearing and flywheel (if the flywheel needs changing, because it was resurfaced and apparently an OEM flywheel is like 470$) all OEM btw.

Hopefully it won't be anywhere near that estimate but it was probably my fault as this car is also my first manual car and as everyone does, I learned a lot from trial and error.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weird.. My broken clutch spring had different symptoms. It was grinding every time you would release/engage the clutch. Shifting fine though
Old 02-12-2014, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by _brandon
Weird.. My broken clutch spring had different symptoms. It was grinding every time you would release/engage the clutch. Shifting fine though
It might not even be that, that's what the technician/mechanic best qualified to look at S2000's at my dealer said it MAY be and he got me the prices of the OEM parts it would take to repair the car. I'm hoping it's something else because I had almost zero grinding. I don't think they have even really dropped the transmission to check what the actual problem is yet, left the car off earlier today.

The only reason why he said it may be that is because when you put the car in first And then start it (only way to get it into first) the car clearly shows signs that the clutch isn't disengaging because the car automatically jumps forward.

Quick Reply: First S2000 - Won't go into first gear.