S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

First S2000 - Won't go into first gear.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First S2000 - Won't go into first gear.

Alright so as I currently type this I am waiting till Tuesday to confirm and fix whatever has happened to my 2001 S2000 at my local honda dealer. What I wanted to know is, what is wrong...?

I've read up on similar problems and what's always brought up in the threads is the CMC and the slave, could this be the issue?

Basically my car will absolutely not go into first.. Maybe half way and if I do luckily force it into first as soon as I give it gas while slowly letting off the clutch it stalls. The only way to get the car moving from stop is to put it into first while the car is off and then turn the car on and it starts to move practically on it's own. I literally just bought this car from someone on these forums through craigslist, and the car was fine until now. To be precise it was PERFECT right before this happened (besides the fact it's hard as f*** to put it in reverse when the car is on), I had never experienced better shifting in my life (as this is my first manual car and this is my 2nd or 3rd week driving and I'm pretty good but not perfect) then this happened out of nowhere.

Any ideas?
Old 02-08-2014, 07:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

did ya check the clutch master fluid level..
Old 02-08-2014, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Ryuu
did ya check the clutch master fluid level..
I forgot to mention in the OP, that I had the car serviced a couple days ago for them to put the rear tires I had bought and to just check the car for anything else, and they noticed the clutch fluid was low so they put some in.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:07 AM

Update:
Checked clutch fluid just incase and it's not that, it's clean and full.

Bump... Would really like to understand what's going on with my car.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:56 AM

Replace clucth master and slave

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 02-08-2014, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by waleed786
Replace clucth master and slave

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
That's what i was thinking, but could there be any other issue besides that?

Either way id have to wait for Tuesday because I lack the equipment to do work on my car. This post was just to ask s2ki members who have more experience then I do help me understand what's wrong with my car.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:23 PM

Received 158 Likes on 121 Posts

If you pump the clutch a few times, is it smoother? If yes, there's air in the system.

To me it sounds like the clutch isn't fully disengaging so I would check your pedal freeplay too.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:08 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you check the foreplay on the clutch adjustment ?

Utah
Old 02-08-2014, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by fernando.
If you pump the clutch a few times, is it smoother? If yes, there's air in the system.

To me it sounds like the clutch isn't fully disengaging so I would check your pedal freeplay too.
alright thanks I'll try and test that out & look at the pedal freeplay

Update: tried pumping, did not work any easier.. Would not go into reverse or first at all and based on the picture below I don't believe my master cylinder is leaking...

Originally Posted by Utah S2K
Did you check the foreplay on the clutch adjustment ?

Utah
no i have not yet, do you think that really could be the problem?

this is exactly how/when it happened:

- take girlfriend out to lunch perfect shifting
- leave place, go home, and apparently I have to pick up someone because it's urgent.
- Drop girlfriend off at home, I reach about half way to my destination.
- at a light, light turns green i go into first perfect shift, then try to go to second and it didnt fully go in so the car revved in neutral.
- slow down the car put it back into first and notice i have to make the next right, go over to the right lane the light is red i stop the car.
- since florida is a right on red state i go when its good to go, try to put it in first gear and it wont go and from THEN on it just won't go into first unless you have the car off first.

Update: here's a pic for you guys

I REALLY hope this isn't a transmission problem.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone else can chime in to confirm this but it sounds just like the issue where it won't go into 5th because of a burr on the shift dog for 6th. If that's the case, I think it was something like shifting in and out of 6th about 100 times really rapidly (2nd for you) to smooth out the burr and then doing a bunch of accel/decel from 5k-7k to smooth it out further. Of course, I could be entirely wrong and it may be something else entirely. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: First S2000 - Won't go into first gear.