S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

First day with my s2k. Having trouble with smooth starts.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by keyboarddriver
Edit: Car is an 02 with 100k mi.
Does the car have an OEM clutch or aftermarket? Oem or aftermarket flywheel? This car is to be driven very differently, as it's built to hang in the upper RPM range. Meaning, don't feel strange about bringing the revs up higher than normal. (i.e. 1st gear starts & 1,2,3 shifts).

1st gear starts: 2k-2.5k rpms
1-2-3 shifts: 5k shifts (car responds better & shifts are less notchy)
Old 06-10-2013, 07:19 AM

Try this...

In an empty parking lot, only use the clutch to get the car moving. Slowly engage your clutch until your car starts to move. No gas at all. Once the car has enough momentum, you can fully engage the clutch. Then you can disengage your clutch and brake to a stop. And repeat...

Repeat this until you are comfortable. By doing this, you can familiarize with where the engaging point is and also your left leg. In a auto transmission, you don't use your left leg too much so basically your left leg is kind of like your right leg when you just got a driver's license. You need to use your left leg more to be in more control of your clutch.

And finally, when you are comfortable, you can start giving little gas after engaging your clutch.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:23 AM

And you are tall.. so I guess you have less room to operate clutch.. But I think it's better to keep your heel off the floor.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No way in hell you can drive with your left foot heel always on the floor. Just watch videos on youtube if you want to know how to drive stick.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:23 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BLAQ&GREYs2k
Well thats what the "know it alls" of this site are telling me on my other thread in this section labeled "explain why skip shifting is bad". They seem to believe it is bad to shift below 4k due to the difference in speed of the input shaft during gear changes? IDK. S2Ki is starting to be more and more like any other forum out there, just a bunch of jerks with strong opinions.
Yes.. the shoe fits.
And I'll tell you why.

It is EXACTLY your attitude, again displayed in the quote above, why this board is less and less fun to read & post and turning into what you call "any other forum with just a bunch of jerks"
Why do you question the perfect explanation (post #7) by spets in your post?
https://www.s2ki.com/...hifting-is-bad/
Why the "they seem to believe" remark?
Is it because you do not understand the technical explanation, of rpm's and gear ratios?
That by itself is not wrong - no one knows everything - but why do you think YOU know better IF you don't understand?
It's like in your head only what YOU think can be true..... if others TELL you different they are jerks and "know it alls"
Why didn't you ask the teacher at your class (post #3) that you claim you went to?
Ohh wait.. it wasn't a real class, just some online questionaire on a "how stuff works" website where, after anwering 6 out of 10 questions right, you can fill in your name and print yourself an "expert master transmission tech" certificate to frame and hang over desk.
Just like the other expert - among many.. many other things..... - that you claim you are:
https://www.s2ki.com/...739-brake-pads/
Post #2

Sure, ignore this post and keep on doing what you were doing on s2ki.
Have fun.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:07 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by BLAQ&GREYs2k
Originally Posted by mikemo' timestamp='1370867435' post='22598021
[quote name='BLAQ&GREYs2k' timestamp='1370786765' post='22596508']
These transmissions have special rules and weak points but to keep it simple for now, do not shift below 4,000 rpm.
I've never heard this (I am a new owner, however). Truth or legend?
Thanks
Mike M.
Well thats what the "know it alls" of this site are telling me on my other thread in this section labeled "explain why skip shifting is bad". They seem to believe it is bad to shift below 4k due to the difference in speed of the input shaft during gear changes? IDK. S2Ki is starting to be more and more like any other forum out there, just a bunch of jerks with strong opinions.
[/quote]

No, those said jerks happen to be highly knowledgeable in the subject matter and are able to explain why your ideas are flawed; the jerks are the one's who are too stubborn to compromise or listen.

Personally, the shifting above 4K RPM made an incredible difference in feel.

Also, what kind of shoes are you wearing (to the OP)?
Old 06-10-2013, 03:40 PM

I've known of or read many of these people for years.. they're just guys or girls, they learned by doing and by in some cases schooling.. in dealing with not only their car but as in some cases thousands of other peoples cars and over years and years... I don't know any of them to act or pretend even to be Know it Alls... some of them would be the first to say... I don't know ( if they didn't ) and then, lets take it apart an see... an adventurous lot they are...

being new to a forum takes time... yes.. people tend to parrot up and type in a manner which might throw others off.. but in many cases, the straight scoop.. the answer.. a response..... can be what they have... knowledge of, experience in.. and they want to share it.. some of these folks make their living with their knowledge an are pretty darn good about it.. take your time an get to know them.. it's a good forum..
Old 06-10-2013, 04:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikemo
Originally Posted by BLAQ&GREYs2k' timestamp='1370786765' post='22596508
These transmissions have special rules and weak points but to keep it simple for now, do not shift below 4,000 rpm.
I've never heard this (I am a new owner, however). Truth or legend?
Thanks
Mike M.
The closer you are to 5k, the smoother the shift! Below 4k is clunky and probably wearing out the transmission.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Ryuu
I've known of or read many of these people for years.. they're just guys or girls, they learned by doing and by in some cases schooling.. in dealing with not only their car but as in some cases thousands of other peoples cars and over years and years... I don't know any of them to act or pretend even to be Know it Alls... some of them would be the first to say... I don't know ( if they didn't ) and then, lets take it apart an see... an adventurous lot they are..
Old 06-10-2013, 05:41 PM

this transmission was designed to be at 9,000 rpm... as normal operating environment.. imagine... if it wasn't... I began with british 4 speeds.. then Italian 5 speeds, toss in an occasional old ford 3 speed.. and a couple various automatics... this transmission is a surgical piece of equipment... you should see some of these guys work it.. if they say hey, this happens to clean something up if I grease it.. there is a pretty darn good chance they know what they're talking about... ty, I greased my leakage an checked a lot of clutch during this blog...

Oh, btw.. my master cylinder has been leaking since I bought this at 78k.. I haven't even thought of fixing it... sort of my little british reminder, fill up the clutch master, check oil... so... I end up with the pretty much same crap I enjoyed over centuries of... loving MG's, Triumph's, Lotus,( real ones ), hating my dad's e-type and buying two myself and hating them even worse.. and we won't go into Italian cars..

Quick Reply: First day with my s2k. Having trouble with smooth starts.