S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

First accidental downshift over-rev

Old 08-02-2006, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After that misshift incident at the track last month, I followed Billman advice and finally took the valve cover off monday night for a visual inspection. I guessed I was lucky, because the valve stems from both intake and exhaust where still sticking out of the retainers; yesss !
And it was definitely a much easier job than I thought it would be. as a newbie it took me about an hour; and the hardest part was removing/ reinstalling the valve cover: It's so tight in there!
Old 08-02-2006, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by froggie,Aug 2 2006, 12:23 PM
It's so tight in there!
I've never used that phrase as a negative one..
Old 08-02-2006, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by froggie,Aug 2 2006, 10:23 AM
After that misshift incident at the track last month, I followed Billman advice and finally took the valve cover off monday night for a visual inspection. I guessed I was lucky, because the valve stems from both intake and exhaust where still sticking out of the retainers; yesss !
And it was definitely a much easier job than I thought it would be. as a newbie it took me about an hour; and the hardest part was removing/ reinstalling the valve cover: It's so tight in there!
good thing you checked them out, But in some cases when you check out the valve stems they still might seem fine, but there could be a hairline crack on the underside of one, or multiple intake retainers......... over time/driving/reving they begin to expand, then the keepers begin to let the valve slip down. next thing you know the valve drops completely......

I did the same thing, but instead of BS'n. i just paid up and replaced all the retainers and springs...4-6 hour job. i slept alot better at night & its alot cheaper than replacing an F20.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:00 PM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

last year at VIR at 127 MPH (its on video) I pulled into 4th instead of 6th (4:10 gears at the time) Clutch was fully out. My guess is I was about 9700 RPM.

No cels or rough idle, but I still worried about it.

I had the retainers and springs replaced this spring (04 reatiners and 02 valve springs)

All my original retainers were just fine.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:36 PM

i would like to learn how to pull the head of the engine off cuz honda is charging me 720$. when u guys are talkin about replacing the retainers and springs what are you guys using as a reference ...service manual or just other person with experiance showing you?
Old 08-02-2006, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by ShMooveS2k,Aug 2 2006, 09:36 PM
i would like to learn how to pull the head of the engine off cuz honda is charging me 720$. when u guys are talkin about replacing the retainers and springs what are you guys using as a reference ...service manual or just other person with experiance showing you?
good thing you checked them out, But in some cases when you check out the valve stems they still might seem fine, but there could be a hairline crack on the underside of one, or multiple intake retainers......... over time/driving/reving they begin to expand, then the keepers begin to let the valve slip down. next thing you know the valve drops completely......
Old 08-02-2006, 10:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OMG! i did the same thing today, i was at about 7500 in third and push it into 2nd for over-revved, i didnt let the clutch out all the way, but the rpm level did rise and it did blink about 3 times, do u guys think theres a lot of damnage. i'm pretty sure after the 3rd blink i quickly pushed the clutch back in and put the stick into neutral, sorry about hijacking your thread but i wasn't sure if i should have started a new one cuz we pretty much have the same problem.

edit: i think i'm probebly going to the dealership and get this looked at, i'm getting a little worried.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by DarkEarth,Aug 2 2006, 11:19 PM
do u guys think theres a lot of damnage.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:46 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by xviper,Jul 30 2006, 06:56 PM
You've got an AP1 with 4.77 gears, right? If you are more or less accurate about being at 8500 rpm at the time you hit second from 3rd, you would have taken the engine speed as high as 11,950 rpm. It has been said that this engine can briefly hit 10,500 without too much damage. You exceeded this by about 500 rpm. Feeling lucky?
Hindsight is 20/20, but all retainers were fine. Had spring, retainers, locators, etc replaced with Supertech at same time ACT clutch installed.

Thumbs up to JE Import near Baltimore.

I can't believe the size of the clutch on these things - it's like a pancake - like it belongs on a Scion.

ACT feels like everyone has said on here................. about twice the pedal pressure, but shit, compared to the stocker it grabs...... takes a little time to get used to, but even low/mid rpm range shifts from 1-2 results in a bark from the rear tires, without 'trying'........ I NEVER got that with the stocker, even when trying.

Anyway, I am one who over reved and (500 miles later) removed the retainers and saw no issues at all. YMMV.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:23 AM

What did JE end up charging you for the valvetrain work if you don't mind sharing? Was it roughly the original estimate or were there unexpected expenses?

Quick Reply: First accidental downshift over-rev