S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

First accidental downshift over-rev

Old 07-31-2006, 05:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"FWIW, this is an AP1, and I drove the remainder of the road (5 miles) as if nothing had happened (i.e. mostlly up past vtec crossover)."

Really good idea driving this hard after mechanically over-revving. Why don't people understand once you abuse the car to the max, continuation won't help. Well good luck hope things work out
Old 07-31-2006, 06:03 AM

Received 247 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by jdnissanz,Jul 31 2006, 09:56 AM
Really good idea driving this hard after mechanically over-revving. Why don't people understand once you abuse the car to the max, continuation won't help. Well good luck hope things work out
Whatever..... It's his car. he'll deal with it.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:13 AM

sorry about the situation. i hope the car is ok. btw, i'm in Elkton too. i just thought that was a cool coinsidence.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:12 PM

well im in the same situation well kind of because it took about 3-4weeks for my CEL to pop up when i overreved and my car is at honda and they say its bent valves$$$$. as of right now were waiting for the warranty inspector to see if they gonna cover it the ECU doesnt have a overrev code, thats what honda told me. tomorrow ill find out what the warranty guy says
Old 07-31-2006, 01:37 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by jdnissanz,Jul 31 2006, 09:56 AM
"FWIW, this is an AP1, and I drove the remainder of the road (5 miles) as if nothing had happened (i.e. mostlly up past vtec crossover)."

I don't believe I asked for your opinion - please re-read the opening post:

"Appreciate any constructive responses, especially from those who have done this themselves"

First, this is not my daily driver - look at how many miles are on it. If I wanted something less reliable I would have bought an American car. All I've owned in the past 15 years are Jap cars, all taken well past their intended use.... still have a 4 banger Toyota p/u as a daily driver (2wd) which I used to pull a 5000# boat with............... 10 years old, 125k miles, and no problems. Perhaps between my previous cars and the handful of sportbikes I've had, I'm living in a paradigm of sorts.

But getting back to the point, you've posted in the wrong topic.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:55 PM

Talking

I've got two routes to go (well, 3 if you include "do nothing"):

(1) Examine the retainers myself. A co-worker and fellow engineer used to be a Honda mechanic years prior to becoming an engineer. I discussed the situation with him, and though he didn't offer to look at it himself, he will gladly lend me any specialty tools (e.g. mirror, compression gauge, etc...) and guidance needed for me to perform an examination. Smart guy, and I respect his knowledge both from theoretical and hand-on perspectives.

(2) Get all the retainers replaced, most likely aftermarket, by one of the tuners on this board's list for approx $550 - approx $150 for the parts, the rest for labor (approx 6 hrs). He believed there were aftermarket retainers which would hold out to higher rpms, but had to make sure that they were compatible with OEM springs. The tuner would NOT perform a simple examination of existing retainers - said that he "could" miss something, weeks later the motor drops a valve, then he could have a liability issue on his hands (if the customer were a prick).

Anyone know of the reliability of aftermarket retainers with OEM springs, in terms of max safe rpm? From all the postings, I am assuming the the retainers are the weakest link in the chain; what's next?
Old 07-31-2006, 02:25 PM

I believe that the retainers of choice are the AP2 OEM retainers. They are apparently a little thicker in cross section in the area that is prone to crack. I seem to recall that there is some premature wear issue with aftermarket retainers. Others can chime in here as I'm merely working from memory of what I've read here.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by ShMooveS2k,Jul 31 2006, 05:12 PM
well im in the same situation well kind of because it took about 3-4weeks for my CEL to pop up when i overreved and my car is at honda and they say its bent valves$$$$. as of right now were waiting for the warranty inspector to see if they gonna cover it the ECU doesnt have a overrev code, thats what honda told me. tomorrow ill find out what the warranty guy says
Unfortunately, this is probably because you waited and did not inspect the valve train after over revving. If you dropped a valve (obviously if the stem is bent) and it happened weeks later, you were driving around with one or more cracked retainers. Unfortunate that you didn't get it checked before doing all that damage. Live and learn, huh?

No offense to you as you are apparently OK with it and will deal with it, but this should serve as a good example of those who say "ahh, if it's running OK afterwards, it's fine"
Old 07-31-2006, 03:07 PM

yes this is very true it was a costly lesson. no offense taken
Old 07-31-2006, 04:03 PM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the AP2 retainers heavier than the AP1 units? Since the AP2's don't rev as high, heavier retainers might not matter. On an AP1, I wonder if they might induce float?

According to Majestic both the retainers, springs and keepers are a different part# between a 2002 and 2005.

Quick Reply: First accidental downshift over-rev