S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Finally started her up for the year!

Old 03-14-2010, 01:05 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Finally started her up for the year!

My S2k has been under cover all winter, I have not even taken a look at it until today.

The 1st thing I noticed was that the brake fluid seemed pretty low. It was right between the maximum and minimum mark, and I could have sworn I left it just at or below the max mark . The brakes feel fine and I cannot find fluid anywhere, I would think if there was even a slight leak I would feel it in the brake pedal. I did do a brake rebuild 6K miles ago on the fronts, the only thing I can think of is that I have a slight amount of air still working its way out. Any other ideas?

The 2nd thing I noticed is the slight "clack" I have been starting to hear, seemed to get a bit louder. The odd thing is that it was much more pronounced inside of the car than outside of the car. Inside of the car it really is starting to sound like the baseball card in the spokes sound, outside of the car it is more of a gravely rattle type sound. I am thinking the TCT may be on it's way out. Any other thoughts, and for those who have had TCT issues does my observation that it is more pronounced inside than outside of the car make sense?
Old 03-14-2010, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Air in Brake System doesn't work its way out. But brake fluid does lose some of its volume very slightly when it is cold. Like a hairline difference. Keep an eye on the brake fluid for the next few days just in case.

Try removing and installing the gas cap. Sometimes, the air pressure in built-up the gas tank could cause the valves to "clack". It could be that the air in the fuel is preventing the fuel from lubricating the valves. Yes, the valves are partially lubricated by gasoline to a very slight degree. I don't know why it happens, but it does to me once in a while. This is rare and weird, but removing and re-installing the gas cap does the trick for me when I start the car after a long period of sitting.

Maybe the TCT is on its way out, but I wouldn't go out to replace it just yet until I am sure it is the TCT.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:53 PM

I am pretty certain that air will make its way to the highest point (i.e. the fluid reservoir).

I will give removing the gas cap a shot, who knows maybe that will work. I would consider having the TCT replaced because it is still under warranty and I would not have to pay for it.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:59 PM

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,545 Posts

does the noise go on for a while or is it just for a short while on cold start up ?. If it continues for a while during idle then it might be the timing chain tensioner going bad, the card in the spokes noise sounds like a common description. If it is just a short while on cold start up then it might be valvetrain noise like mentioned above.

One reason I like to use an upper cylinder lube in my fuel is to reduce noise on cold start up, lubes and cushions the valves a bit.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:15 AM

Received 205 Likes on 141 Posts

Maybe run the car a bit too, work out any kinks from storage.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:25 PM

I am just going to take it in and have it looked at tomorrow. Everything will be done under warranty, I figure might as well just get it done now. Too bad this week is going to be nice out