S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Finally did my first change this afternoon

Old 09-10-2016, 02:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Finally did my first change this afternoon

After doing the research, and of course reading the DIY Oil change thread on the forum, I did my first oil change this afternoon. I went to Honda dealership and other 4 auto stores for different tools since I had none! Well although I followed the instructions, I got into these questions/problems:

1. After adding full 5 quarts of oil in, I started the engine and tried to see warm it for like 3~5 mins before measuring the dipstick level. However, I forgot to put the engine oil cap on.. So would running the engine with the engine oil cap off cause any problems? (As far as I feel the car after oil change, the idling seemed to be less smooth..?)
2. Another important thing I missed was the torque wrench. I forgot to buy the extremely important torque wrench for oil drain bolt (I could do 7/8 turn for filter). So for now I just used ratchet to tighten it up. Does that mean that I HAVE TO lift the car again, loosen and tighten the bolt to 29~33 lb-ft to avoid over/under-tightened?
3. I don't know why but after shutting the engine off for 5 mins, on the level ground I checked the dipstick (Well the engine seemed to be a little bit hot..), there was barely any fresh 10W30 oil there. Is it normal for the engine to get all of the 5 quarts newly added oil away from the oil pan?
4. And I forgot to change the washer..

Could anybody help?

Thanks!
Old 09-10-2016, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should be fine for everything, I wouldn't bother using a torque wrench for the oil drain bolt.

As far as checking the oil level, use a white lint free towel to soak in the oil on the dipstick and see where it is. It's difficult to read the oil levels after a fresh change since the oil is very clear against the back of the dipstick.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:44 PM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

The torque wrench just helps make sure you don't strip the threads. Get one to use next time. Sure you don't need one, but if you don't have a good feel for it, have a lot of experience and have stripped threads before so you know when you are about to and can stop before you do, then a torque wrench is a good idea.

You probably want a 3/8" drive one for this. Its range will probably be more useful for such a task (a 1/2" drive likely would need to use the low end of the scale where it probably wouldn't be accurate).

The only problem with running engine with fill cap off is getting oil splashed all over. Which would happen if you actually drove it that way. They have been known to come loose if you don't tighten them enough.

One trick is to cook the dipstick tip with a propane torch (or the kitchen stovetop, if the wife is not home. Shhh). It will turn blue, then it'll be a lot easier to check fresh oil.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by BlakeNFR
You should be fine for everything, I wouldn't bother using a torque wrench for the oil drain bolt.

As far as checking the oil level, use a white lint free towel to soak in the oil on the dipstick and see where it is. It's difficult to read the oil levels after a fresh change since the oil is very clear against the back of the dipstick.
I just checked again and it's in the middle of 'H' (above the top 'X'). Does that mean I added too much oil? Although 5 qts seems to be fine, but according to what other ppl say on s2ki, in the middle of 'H' seems to be overkill..

(And yeah you are right! I almost missed them cuz they are sooooo light. )
Old 09-10-2016, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
The torque wrench just helps make sure you don't strip the threads. Get one to use next time. Sure you don't need one, but if you don't have a good feel for it, have a lot of experience and have stripped threads before so you know when you are about to and can stop before you do, then a torque wrench is a good idea.

You probably want a 3/8" drive one for this. Its range will probably be more useful for such a task (a 1/2" drive likely would need to use the low end of the scale where it probably wouldn't be accurate).

The only problem with running engine with fill cap off is getting oil splashed all over. Which would happen if you actually drove it that way. They have been known to come loose if you don't tighten them enough.

One trick is to cook the dipstick tip with a propane torch (or the kitchen stovetop, if the wife is not home. Shhh). It will turn blue, then it'll be a lot easier to check fresh oil.
Thanks bro. Btw, I checked again and the level is in the middle of 'H', which seems to be too high. But I was just adding 5 qts there.. Kinda worried because I see so many ppl say here on s2ki that don't need that much, even below the top 'X' would be fine, things like that.. (And I know adding too much could be worse than not enough oil!!)

Thanks again in advance bro!
Old 09-10-2016, 07:19 PM

Received 480 Likes on 392 Posts

You should be fine, a quarter quart over won't hurt anything. You want a torque wrench because you want to avoid over-tightening the bolt because you can strip threads or crack the pan.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
You should be fine, a quarter quart over won't hurt anything. You want a torque wrench because you want to avoid over-tightening the bolt because you can strip threads or crack the pan.
Thanks! I will definitely get a torque wrench in the next oil change and of course start by 4 or 4.5 quarts first to check the level!
Old 09-10-2016, 09:10 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Definitely get a torque wrench if you don't have a feel for tightening bolts.

I generally add oil to the oil filter up to maybe 1/2 of the way and then swish it around so the oil can soak into the paper media.

Also, I find this tool very convenient. No more dropped drain bolt into the drain pan or hot oil getting all over your hand:

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-Drain-Plu.../dp/B0054WI7CW
Old 09-10-2016, 11:05 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Be sure to torque OEM oil filter to proper tightness.

Old 09-11-2016, 03:17 AM

Received 480 Likes on 392 Posts

I like cosmoiller love my fumoto valve. Why mess with a drain plug when you can have a valve. Hook up a hose drain it into a pair of 5 quart oil bottles, shutting off the valve at your convenience is great, you can correct over fills, draw an oil sample, plus you don't have to burn yourself or drop plugs or worry about leaks.

Quick Reply: Finally did my first change this afternoon