S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Final Drive 4.777

Old 08-21-2004, 04:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Final Drive 4.777

Hi...

I have just recently bought a J's Racing Final Drive 4.777

I am now thinking twice before installing it. Does anyone in this forum know how the car will feel? What kind of top speed will I max out in and how short will I have to shift every time? I am reading about lots of LSD getting blown. Should I get another LSD. And if yes how is the Cusco?

Thank guys

Andrew
Old 08-21-2004, 05:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go to

www.reveredgarage.com you will find a gear sheet .

With a 4.777 you will acceleted faster ut will lose top end speed, its like driving a bicycle if you run with the lowest gear you will acc, faster but at the end you have to spin harder to get more top en speed so you will change to a bigger gear.

If you go with a 4.777 final ratio, an you still have plans to mod your car, you should get mods that improves your HP on the end of the power curve like a SC or NA parts that are more focused on power on the end range. i.e spoon header, rather than mid range.

Juan
Old 08-21-2004, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The right URL is http://reverendsgarage.net/ and look for the gear calculator link.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:28 AM

The 4.77 like any gear reduction unit, will allow for a more effective torque multiplication which allows your car to make use of more available power, but keep in mind that the benefits of gear reduction alone can be a hit or miss thing depending on where you drive the car. You'll reach redline easier since the car would have better "leverage", the same kind of effect as downshifting from 4th to 3rd, plus you'd need to shift more often, and suffer reduced gas mileage as your 6th gear isn't as tall as it was with OEM 4.10 FD. On the streets, I'd imagine that the car would be easier to manage in stop-n-go traffic city traffic and uphill drives.

If you drive well and have the (track) room to use the gears to their best potential, the main benefit here is in the difference in acceleration.
Old 08-21-2004, 01:53 PM

[QUOTE=Hyper-X,Aug 21 2004, 11:28 AM] The 4.77 like any gear reduction unit, will allow for a more effective torque multiplication which allows your car to make use of more available power, but keep in mind that the benefits of gear reduction alone can be a hit or miss thing depending on where you drive the car.
Old 08-21-2004, 03:20 PM

i run 4.77's and a reinforced diff along with many, many other mods. a few suggestions and tid bits for you:

-whatever ratio you choose, get a TOP NOTCH mechanic to do the work. mark basch did mine ... one of the great NSX mech's of the world. it was his first for an S, and from his expressions, i knew it was a tough job.

-at 85mph, i do 5500 rpm's. that i'm not too pleased with, but i keep her off the highway anyway. too much road rash.

-my top speed is around 140-145mph. do the conversion cuz i don't know the number.

-as far as acceleration goes, there's a definite difference. first gear is really an after thought, so i'd suggest getting your hands on a nice shift beeper like the one modifry makes. otherwise, that rev limiter will get a nice work out from time to time.

-make note at where your gears now top out so that you don't over rev. the only one that comes to mind atm is the top of 2nd which is now 50mph instead of 60 or so.
Old 08-21-2004, 03:42 PM

I've heard of an increase in gas mileage with the 4.77 gears. The rpm may be higher, but gas mileage is more relative to load (how much you're on the throttle). At cruising speeds on the freeway, you'd have less load because you don't need to work as hard with the 4.77 gears to maintain speed.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by wortham,Aug 21 2004, 03:20 PM
i run 4.77's and a reinforced diff along with many, many other mods. a few suggestions and tid bits for you:

-whatever ratio you choose, get a TOP NOTCH mechanic to do the work. mark basch did mine ... one of the great NSX mech's of the world. it was his first for an S, and from his expressions, i knew it was a tough job.

-at 85mph, i do 5500 rpm's. that i'm not too pleased with, but i keep her off the highway anyway. too much road rash.

-my top speed is around 140-145mph. do the conversion cuz i don't know the number.

-as far as acceleration goes, there's a definite difference. first gear is really an after thought, so i'd suggest getting your hands on a nice shift beeper like the one modifry makes. otherwise, that rev limiter will get a nice work out from time to time.

-make note at where your gears now top out so that you don't over rev. the only one that comes to mind atm is the top of 2nd which is now 50mph instead of 60 or so.
Thanks Wortham,

The exact answer I was looking for.. At least I will know what to exect...

For the good mechanic... That will be a proble. Jakarta have good mechanics but they seldom work on a S2000. Not many in this country. This city have about 20 units running around and most of them are kept under the bag.

Do you know of any mechanics in Australia that might be able to do the job. I guess I will have to send the final drive assembly to Australia for work

Thanks for the input again. Apreciate your time buddy.

Andrew
Old 08-21-2004, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by wortham,Aug 21 2004, 03:20 PM

What other mods are you running in the diff housing? Just to make sure I get everything right before I install the final drive.

Wht LSD would you recomend? Cusco? Kaaz is an american brand right?

thanks again for your time

Andrew
Old 08-21-2004, 10:35 PM

Juan.

I can't seem to open the web site for the gear chart.

Thanks for the input btw

Andrew

Quick Reply: Final Drive 4.777