S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

A Few tranny issues.. could someone knowledgable

Old 06-25-2006, 11:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A Few tranny issues.. could someone knowledgable

well cars 02 bought dec5th2005 @ 30k miles

currently 39k

i baby my car, every fluid was changed when bought. just incase they didnt do the 30k service yet. il changed every 3k , tranny fluid will be changed @ 45, diff also.

since buying.. every blue moon when accel in 1st.... get to maybe 4-4.5k and i go to put into second and grinds (never goes into gear.. gets right in line but grinds as i try to push in.. immediately i notice and put into second.. and put back into 2nd and fine. (has happened.. 15-16 times since purchase)

also, when coasting... coming to a light.. ill be in say 2nd gear.. down to like 10-12mph then i feel the car needs to be in 1st because im going to be slowing more but acceling soon. i go to put into 1st and doesnt wanna go in.. goes into the location but not in gear.. (id say its like 1/4" out of where 'in gear" would be. doesnt wanna budge extra 1/4" this is the same thing w/ the second when it grinds.. it feels like about 1/4" away from where "in gear would be" but doesnt wanna budge that extra 1/4" until i put in N and retry few times. (has happened 3-4 times since purchase)

next.. will be driving. 1-2-3-4-5 and then i go to pop into 6th and its very sluggish to pop in.. if i force it.. doesnt feel right so i go slowly and then goes in.. (happens daily basis)

1-2=sometimes doesnt want to stick
2-3= is always fine (has a lil notch but heard that is normal, like a click feeling against palm when going into gear)
3-4=perrrfect
4-5=perrfect
5-6=feels sludgy like first 20-30 miles in car.. afterwhich still kinda sluggish but not as bad.
N-R=sometiems doesnt wanna pop in first time, but i feel this is my problem since not used to pushing down/over for Reverse
6-5= fine
5-4=fine
4-3=fine
3-2=fine
2-1=sometimes doesnt wanna go in

its not enough for me to not drive the car.. just my first s2000 and unsure whats normal and whats not. so i figured id ask before going to honda. always nice to have a few people say what the problem might be so when i go i sound knowledable and their more likely to be friendly about the whole thing

as far as the rest of the car.. i love it.

Riley

one last thing.. would u maybe suggest using a tranny fluid such as "redline" when changing tranny fluid @ 45k.. since most of the problems are in the first 20 mins of driving.. could just be the oem fluid is still very thick and affecting my shifts.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have similar issues and I just picked up the car. I just got it a few weeks ago and its my first S too. 2003. I would be interested in more info on it. Mine doesn't seem to want to go in when downshifting from 2-1 either.

And I have actually had mine pop out of gear or seem to pop out when accelerating in 1st gear around VTEC crossover.. Waiting on some info. Good luck to you.

-Brandon
Old 06-25-2006, 12:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Naturul,Jun 25 2006, 01:56 PM
Mine doesn't seem to want to go in when downshifting from 2-1 either.

And I have actually had mine pop out of gear or seem to pop out when accelerating in 1st gear around VTEC crossover.. Waiting on some info. Good luck to you.

-Brandon
I believe this, the first part, is a common trait of these transmissions. The tranny just never seems to want to go from 2-1 without either coming to a complete stop, being double clutched, or literally forced to do so. Don't worry yourselves too much as this is normal.

As far as the gear shift popping out of gear while accelerating, mine never did that once in the three years I owned it. I have read numerous cases where it has happened to others and I believe it is something to be concerned about. Perhaps someone else with more on this will chime in with their input?
Old 06-25-2006, 12:47 PM

mine never pops out of gear.

if the 2-1 is normal i guess i wont worry

just the 1-2 and 5-6 situation then..
Old 06-25-2006, 01:19 PM

only problem i have is sumtimes its lock me out of reverse like it goes part way in but not all the way, and also my 5-6 when the car is cold is hard to go in, I have to kinda force it. Once its warmer its a lil better, but then once its very warm and ur driving it kinda hard a fast shift into 5-6 feels like butter. But i still always have to use a little force. Could it be a shared problem with the reverse?
Old 06-25-2006, 01:29 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

They talk about "popping out of gear" here too
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=399355

As far as the 5-6 thing goes, it could be the 6th syncro being lightly damaged because of skip shifting. Do you skip shift?

I just changed my transmission oil from Honda MTF to SF-MTL-P.
Have driven about 200 km with it and it feels very smooth, every shift, also when cold.
Read about it here
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=391607
Note that my transmission is 6 years, 119900 km old.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:16 PM

i dont skip shift ever..
Old 06-25-2006, 07:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2-1 in higher rpms require double clutch downshift (DCD)
When the tranny is warm, you might be able to pop it into 1st coasting at 20kms/hr any higher and it requires DCD.

As for the grind into 2nd. It might be that your 2nd gear synchro is out of tolerance. I had this problem on mine when the tranny warmed up and it would grind in the same rpm range you described.

After I got my 1-2-3-4 gear replace, I've never had the 2nd gear grind again.

If you can live with it then just take more time shifting to 2nd, if not take into the dealer to get a new second gear.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:02 PM

Same problem here...I just gto an '01 but with only 14,900 miles on the clock. Had it for 3 weeks.

N-1 - sometimes hard to engage
1-2 - usually fine
2-3 - always have a click (almost like grinding, but only 1 to 2 of the gear teeth?!?) going into it...its almost like the syncro is out of whack...but not really that bad

The biggest issue I have is that at low RPMS, the tranny is very smooth, but at high rpms, shifting near redline, it becomes harder to engage all the gears! I don't know why!

Old owner got excedy race clutch on the car when I got it.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:11 PM

your not really ment to down shift into first gear. it will probley be easier if you rev match going in though. as far as your 5th and 6th gear they share a sincronizer (ive read, not 100%) so problems with those gears are fairly common.

redline fluid

7g, its always a little harder to shift at red line, the sincro gates are moving faster.

ri, if you have a warantee just take it to the shop and get it looked at.

Quick Reply: A Few tranny issues.. could someone knowledgable