S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Fellas, I need some help...

Old 02-12-2014, 05:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sam i am
CODE LIST GIVEN TO ME BY ADVANCED auto parts before I took it into the shop the first time.

Misfire code......................... P0301-02-03-04
Emission Leak...................... P1456
Variable Valve Timing.......... P1259

I dont know if the TCT caused a code. My friend that helped me said that was the reason for the maintenance required light..
Took it to a private shop. They worked on my brothers Mazda 3S and did a good job, but now Im starting to have some doubt (a lot actually)...

1. Misfire codes can be caused by injectors, coils, spark plugs, valves out of spec, bent valves, low compression, etc, etc, etc. We need more information.
2. P1456 is usually caused by a loose gas cap or other fuel tank leak. Remove and reinstall your gas cap a couple times and have the codes reset to make sure that one doesn't come back.
3. P1259 is VTEC malfunction. This can be caused by low oil pressure, a blocked oil pressure switch on the spool valve assembly, a clogged VTEC spool valve screen, or a wiring fault.

Given that you're getting a VTEC fault AND you're experiencing tapping/low thud, that does not sound good at all. It would seem to me, just from experience that you have a spun bearing causing oil starvation and ultimately scuffed cylinder walls which will cause the piston to slam back and forth in the cylinder causing even more noise and damage.

Where are you located OP? My inspection services are always free, even if it involves removing the head. Hopefully it's nothing major, but from my experience, it doesn't sound good.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S2kPowa' timestamp='1392182679' post='23011542
TCT has nothing to do with Check engine. If you don't replace your TCT On time and keep on driving while it rattles. your Risking of your engine going kaboom, why?
TCT keeps timing chain tight, Once Timing Chain is flopping around because TCT is failing you can skip Timing on your engine/ BTW S2k is known to have weak TCT
I replaced my 1 year ago now its rattling again.
Maybe your timing Have skipped 1 tooth already that's why its misfiring?
Do you hear any tapping? coming from engine If so I recommend doing Valve Adjustment as it can also cause misfires
at 137k I would do valve adjustment if it was not done yet
From your profile looks like you have AP1. AP1 Valves needs to be adjusted more then AP2 due to weaker design in cylinder head,
I hope this helps

And I would try finding better Mechanic in your area, Someone who works on Sk2 regularly .

How would I be able to tell if it was skipping a tooth?.. There was a tapping. More like a low thud.
You would need to remove the valve cover and front cover and check the timing between the crankshaft sprocket and the camshafts representative sprocket on the timing chain.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:44 AM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by DeeKay
You would need to remove the valve cover and front cover and check the timing between the crankshaft sprocket and the camshafts representative sprocket on the timing chain.
Removing the front cover is a major undertaking, and not necessary to determine cam timing. Only valve cover removal is needed.

As stated by Jordan, your engine will not sync/run if you are one tooth off so that is not your problem.

Most common problem associated with P1259 is a faulty VTEC switch on the VTEC solenoid. HOWEVER...as stated, when coupled with an engine noise, it could be a serious oil pressure problem. Your BEST advice is to drive the car gently until it is professionally diagnosed. Not guessed at like it has been this whole time. An offer has been made and if you are in range I would take advantage.

And as stated, retainer year, nor current condition determine valve adjustment interval. The only ones cautioned to check their clearance early and more often are 2006-2009 owners.

TCT had nothing to do with any issue you had or code you had. TCT symptom is very specific noise, and lots of it. Not a low thud by any means.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:46 AM

Thanks for clarification on timing.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:53 AM

You need to start with a compression test, vacuum test ext. If you arnt a technician or experienced mechanic and cant diag the issue, i would recommecd taking it to the dealership. Ask how much they charge for diag. Also ask for a Master Tech to look at it. Diag shouldnt be more than 1 hour of labor. Good luck to you.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Billman250
Originally Posted by DeeKay' timestamp='1392260035' post='23013255
Removing the front cover is a major undertaking, and not necessary to determine cam timing. Only valve cover removal is needed.

As stated by Jordan, your engine will not sync/run if you are one tooth off so that is not your problem.

Most common problem associated with P1259 is a faulty VTEC switch on the VTEC solenoid. HOWEVER...as stated, when coupled with an engine noise, it could be a serious oil pressure problem. Your BEST advice is to drive the car gently until it is professionally diagnosed. Not guessed at like it has been this whole time. An offer has been made and if you are in range I would take advantage.

And as stated, retainer year, nor current condition determine valve adjustment interval. The only ones cautioned to check their clearance early and more often are 2006-2009 owners.

TCT had nothing to do with any issue you had or code you had. TCT symptom is very specific noise, and lots of it. Not a low thud by any means.
http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/...ps85751e64.jpg
valve cover off only... everything is right there
Old 03-01-2014, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by jordanksartell
Originally Posted by sam i am' timestamp='1392256694' post='23013189
CODE LIST GIVEN TO ME BY ADVANCED auto parts before I took it into the shop the first time.

Misfire code......................... P0301-02-03-04
Emission Leak...................... P1456
Variable Valve Timing.......... P1259

I dont know if the TCT caused a code. My friend that helped me said that was the reason for the maintenance required light..
Took it to a private shop. They worked on my brothers Mazda 3S and did a good job, but now Im starting to have some doubt (a lot actually)...

1. Misfire codes can be caused by injectors, coils, spark plugs, valves out of spec, bent valves, low compression, etc, etc, etc. We need more information.
2. P1456 is usually caused by a loose gas cap or other fuel tank leak. Remove and reinstall your gas cap a couple times and have the codes reset to make sure that one doesn't come back.
3. P1259 is VTEC malfunction. This can be caused by low oil pressure, a blocked oil pressure switch on the spool valve assembly, a clogged VTEC spool valve screen, or a wiring fault.

Given that you're getting a VTEC fault AND you're experiencing tapping/low thud, that does not sound good at all. It would seem to me, just from experience that you have a spun bearing causing oil starvation and ultimately scuffed cylinder walls which will cause the piston to slam back and forth in the cylinder causing even more noise and damage.

Where are you located OP? My inspection services are always free, even if it involves removing the head. Hopefully it's nothing major, but from my experience, it doesn't sound good.
Thanks for your support and feedback. Im in eastern nc
Old 03-02-2014, 04:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for your support and feedback. Im in eastern nc

No problem man, you're a little ways away from me, but not terribly far. I'm located in central Tennessee and all I really work on is S2000's (aside from a few friends other random vehicles). If you can make a way to get it here I can diagnose the issue properly AND get it fixed up for you no problem. Just let me know, send me a PM if you'd like.

-Jordan