S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Feeling hesitation while in VTEC

Old 07-19-2007, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feeling hesitation while in VTEC

Hey, I have been feeling this "hesitation" when I take turns while in VTEC. Lets say there is a turn coming up, I downshift so I am at about 6k RPM, I go into the turn, hit the apex, give it gas, hear a little tire squeal if I am going fast enough, and then the VTEC hesitates noticeably (I can visible see the RPM's stop climbing) for about half a second and then kicks back in. It kind of feels like traction control, because it feels like its cutting off power when I start losing traction, but I thought s2000's have no traction control? I was thinking its some built in TC because I know some cars have that and they can not be turned off by a simple push of the button. Just looking for a explanation from some of you s2k guru's.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:41 AM

im guessing a little low on oil? because when your hanging a turn the oil slides and maybe the oil pick up isnt really suckin enough oil in to let vtec kick...
Old 07-19-2007, 03:53 AM

Old 07-19-2007, 05:13 AM

Sounds like a fuel starvation issue, how full was your tank?
Old 07-19-2007, 05:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recall someone having a similar issue but no resolution
Old 07-19-2007, 05:41 AM

Oil and fuel are probably the first places to look. I had the same thing happening with my car at autocrosses (much more pronounced than half a second of pause though. . .the car wouldnt start going again unless I let off the gas completely and then got back on it).

If its not oil level or fuel, try doing the MAP whack or actually take the MAP sensor out and make sure its all clean around that area. Thats what I did and havent had the hesitation since.

And there is no traction control on S2000's until the 06's.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:17 PM

i would rather say oil problem cuz people are less likely to check their oil frequently.. if you dont pay attention to your gas gauge or drive around with the gas light on there must be something wrong with you... lol
Old 07-20-2007, 01:10 AM

I had a full tank of gas. Don't think its the oil, just had a change about 3000 miles ago. I'll do the map whack and reset the ecu and see what happens.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:51 AM

I've been looking around and I've found the map sensor whack pictorial, but I can't find instructions for a ECU reset anywere. I want to reset the ecu too while I'm doing the MAP. Can someone send me a link to a good walk through? I was also wondering, will reseting the ecu lock the radio?

EDIT: Okay I think I found out how. Unplug 3rd fuse down in second column labeled #25 backup 7.5 a fuse. Wait 10 minutes. Plug back in. Wait 10 minutes. Turn car on. Let idle through 3 cooling fan cycles. Then drive car hard to relearn a/f stuff.

Is this correct? And if I'm not mistaken this will not reset the radio because the battery is not being disconnected
Old 07-20-2007, 12:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To reset the ECU and/or clear the Check Engine light:

1) Put the key in and turn to on and back to off position and leave the key in.

2) Remove fuse #16 ("Back-up", 7.5A) from the third fuse slot from the top on the right column of fuses of the interior fuse box. This will be the second actual fuse in countries without daytime running lights (the top slot will be empty.)

3) Keep the fuse out for at least 10 seconds.

4) Replace the fuse in the same orientation and slot.

5) Turn the key back on and start the car to verify that the fuse has been replaced correctly

Quick Reply: Feeling hesitation while in VTEC