S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Faulty Throw Out Bearing?

Old 10-12-2010, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Faulty Throw Out Bearing?

For the past couple weeks or so my clutch pedal has started to have a sort of notchy, jerky feel to it, while the engine is on and while driving. When the engine is shut off however, the pedal feels smooth as butter. The clutch grabs and holds just fine, even going up a steep hill at low speed in 4th gear. There is no audible noise at idle and nothing that sounds really out of the ordinary while driving.

I have an aftermarket CC Stage 2 that was installed as a kit around 15k miles (18 months) ago.

Current attempts at remedy:
1) Changed clutch fluid
2) Adjusted clutch pedal height
3) Relubed the slave cylinder rod end and ends of the clutch fork with Urea grease

Is this the bearing or possibly something else? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:27 PM

Anyone?
Old 10-14-2010, 04:32 AM

sorry man, I dont have any experience with the TO bearing going bad, but if I had to bet on something, it would be the TO bearing. Nothing else I can think of will cause that symptom.

Its the actual clutch pedal that feels -sticky- when the engines spinning, right? does it get "stickier" when the revs are higher?

Keep the car parked:

Idle: push in clutch,
2K rpm: push in clutch
3Krpm..

etc. If it gets notchier or stickier as it gets higher, its probably the TO bearing. Did you get it changed when you got your clutch installed? Are all your transmission bolts tight? if its loose, maybe your engine/trans is torquing during higher RPM shifts and the play is making the input shaft non centered causing some drag?
Old 10-14-2010, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by ikeyballz,Oct 14 2010, 04:32 AM
sorry man, I dont have any experience with the TO bearing going bad, but if I had to bet on something, it would be the TO bearing. Nothing else I can think of will cause that symptom.

Its the actual clutch pedal that feels -sticky- when the engines spinning, right? does it get "stickier" when the revs are higher?

Keep the car parked:

Idle: push in clutch,
2K rpm: push in clutch
3Krpm..

etc. If it gets notchier or stickier as it gets higher, its probably the TO bearing. Did you get it changed when you got your clutch installed? Are all your transmission bolts tight? if its loose, maybe your engine/trans is torquing during higher RPM shifts and the play is making the input shaft non centered causing some drag?
Good idea. I'll see if I can get under there this evening. I haven't really noticed more stickiness at higher rpms but then again that's maybe because the car is in motion while I'm disengaging the clutch at those rpms. I'll try that as well and report back if I find anything. Thanks