S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

faulty fuel gauge/sensor.........

Old 07-08-2002, 07:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default faulty fuel gauge/sensor.........

i've been having a problem with my fuel gauge for the past year, but now it's getting worse....

last summer, i filled up as much gas as the tanks/pipes could possibly hold (i don't know why, but i did).

from that fill-up onwards, i have been getting a lower "full tank" readout on the gauge and it's getting progressively worse.

i.e. i filled up this morning and when i started the car after paying, i was already 2 bars short??

the flipside is, my "low fuel" warning light comes on when i have over a 1/4 tank of gas left.

i.e i filled up 32 litres (of a possible 50!) this morning, yet, my fuel light was on from last night.

prior to all this, i could drive 40-50 km until my fuel gauge would lose a bar from full.

could "over-filling" the tank somehow throw the fuel level sensor out of whack?? by this much?? any fixes for this kind of thing??
Old 07-08-2002, 08:10 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It is quite possible to cause the float assembly on the fuel sender to become misaligned with the right combination of "filling to the brim" and "jossling" down the road immediately afterwards. Sometime when you're going to be out driving for a while, try filling the thing up again as far as you can and go for a spirited drive or one that bounces the car a bit. You might re-align the thing. What can you lose? Just don't go home right away with such a full tank in case you get overflow leakage from the heat of the day. Other than that, I think the fuel level float assemby will need to be removed, fixed or replaced. I think on this car, it is part of the fuel pump.
Maybe it's time to buy a supercharger and put a new pump in.
Old 07-08-2002, 08:16 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
[B]It is quite possible to cause the float assembly on the fuel sender to become misaligned with the right combination of "filling to the brim" and "jossling" down the road immediately afterwards.
Old 07-08-2002, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't it state in the manual that you shouldn't fill the tank to the brim as the gas expands and the tank needs space? Correct me if I'm wrong?!

I always fill the car with 25 litres (half tank) to maintain the 50/50 balance!!!!
Old 07-08-2002, 08:39 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TKG 26
[B]
i'm gonna have a full tune-up done over the next couple of weeks and i want to make sure i have the fuel filter replaced during that time - is it relatively close to the fuel filter??
Old 07-08-2002, 08:40 AM

Originally posted by NEED4SPEED
Doesn't it state in the manual that you shouldn't fill the tank to the brim as the gas expands and the tank needs space? Correct me if I'm wrong?!
probably, but i don't read too well...............
Old 08-01-2002, 10:25 AM

I'm having a similar problem with my '00. About six months ago, I stopped for a quick fill-up, and the worst possible thing happened. I was standing next to the car while it was filling, and a friend of mine convinced me that it would be OK to go inside for some smokes (he's got a modded '00 Prelude - what does he know, right?). When I returned, the meter read $30, because more than 20 gallons were pumped. Where did it all go? Right on to the ground. Apparently the 'shoestring' locked up and wouldn't let the pump stop as it should have.

After leaving the site of my class 3 chemical spill, I noticed that the last LED bar on the left of my gas gauge (to the right of empty) was not lighting up. I'm still having the same problem today, because I refuse to take my car into the dealer during convertible season - I'm just going to wait until it's time to store it before taking it in. It snows too much here in Chicago, so I have to take advantage of the limited amount of warm weather!!

Before you all yell at me about leaving the car at the pump all by itself, I have to say that this was, of course, the first time I have left it alone like this, and I definitely learned my lesson the hard way. Needless to say, it's not going to happen again. What are the odds?

As far as what happened, I think that xviper's idea about the float assembly being calibrated incorrectly explains it best. It's like the car has an bigger reserve tank now...
Old 08-01-2002, 10:34 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by williamc
[B]I'm having a similar problem with my '00.
Old 08-01-2002, 11:39 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by williamc
[B]I noticed that the last LED bar on the left of my gas gauge (to the right of empty) was not lighting up.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:22 PM

I know this is an old thread but my 2001 is doing that now. It started a week ago I filled up Chevron gas station as I pulled away after filling up 2 bars were gone . I was thinking to myself what an idiot I am to not have filled up all the way. A week later when I went to fuel up again the same thing happened. So now each 10 miles I drive it goes down 1 bar! Before the first bar wouldn't turn off until after 20 miles. Does it ever correct itself? I noticed that I am still getting consistent fuel consumption though or am I?

Quick Reply: faulty fuel gauge/sensor.........