S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Fan issue - can't seem to figure what's going on

Old 05-16-2017, 10:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2000. Yes if the car on idle never went over 3 bars, I wouldn't have noticed this issue. I get your point that if its not reading correctly then that fans would work differently but it still doesn't explain why the ac/rad fan doesn't stay on with the ac on.

I'm checking with the vendor for the thermostat settings to see if its like OEM that it turns on the rad fan at 199 or if its higher for some reason. I read somewhere that some of these aftermarket temp switches are set at 212 which seems a bit high but can explain the rad turning off and on like it does.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhemi
I have a 2000. Yes if the car on idle never went over 3 bars, I wouldn't have noticed this issue. I get your point that if its not reading correctly then that fans would work differently but it still doesn't explain why the ac/rad fan doesn't stay on with the ac on.

I'm checking with the vendor for the thermostat settings to see if its like OEM that it turns on the rad fan at 199 or if its higher for some reason. I read somewhere that some of these aftermarket temp switches are set at 212 which seems a bit high but can explain the rad turning off and on like it does.

Well I remembered you and plugged in my scanner and turned on my ac when it was a hot day in stop and go traffic. BOTH fans do not continuously run, maybe on ap2's they do but I have a 02 and it cycles on and off. I have the occasional heat soak but its nothing too bad, and never go over 3 bars in stop and go traffic when its real hot with +2 hour drives with or without ac on.

MY02 fan cycles on at 206 degrees exactly.

Fan comes on at 206 and then stays on till it brings the temp down to 190 and then shuts off as you can see on the graphs. Your car seems like its fine, it runs just like mine but hotter (cycles the fan on and off). I have green coolant so someone before me flushed it lol but I've had the car for about 7 years? and I've yet change it lol... So maybe you just need a coolant flush with legit honda antifreeze if your not using it already? You seem like you purged the air out correctly but I would try and purge it again. Its like a water cooled pc loop, you'll noticed the fluid in your pc's res drops slightly for a week as air finds its way out. Maybe the air trapped was freed up by driving on some sheeity roads which is causing your heating issue.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:29 PM
Community Organizer

Received 155 Likes on 126 Posts

Can you get heat from the dash vents when the car is at operating temperatures? You may have an air lock in the system, been there.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

With a.c. on and car idling.....fans cycling......does a.c. compressor clutch cycle on and off with fans? Sorry if you have already answered this.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:49 AM

Update.

Just came back from vacation so I can finally try to address the issue. I noticed today the fans don't continuously stay on with the ac on. When the compressor cycles odd, the fans turn off for a 20-30 seconds. Then when the compressor kicks back on, the fans start again. During this time, the car is around 205-210. I got my replacement radiator switch in the mail which I'll change out later today since the radiator fan doesn't turn on with the ac off at any temperature.

So from what what I read , it seems for ap1's the fans do cycle off and on even if the ac stays on? I have a video I can post if it helps showing everything on and then when the ac cycles, the fans shut off until it cycles back on again.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:59 AM

Also since the rad fan switch doesn't seem to be working, can this be the cause on why the radiator fans don't stay on even with the ac on?
Old 06-10-2017, 01:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Update.

Just came back from vacation so I can finally try to address the issue. I noticed today the fans don't continuously stay on with the ac on. When the compressor cycles odd, the fans turn off for a 20-30 seconds. Then when the compressor kicks back on, the fans start again. During this time, the car is around 205-210. I got my replacement radiator switch in the mail which I'll change out later today since the radiator fan doesn't turn on with the ac off at any temperature.

So from what what I read , it seems for ap1's the fans do cycle off and on even if the ac stays on? I have a video I can post if it helps showing everything on and then when the ac cycles, the fans shut off until it cycles back on again.
Normal....with ac button and blower switch on the evap thermostat will turn a.c. compressor off when it (evap thermostat) gets cold enough. Fans will cycle on and off with compressor.....not separate from compressor.

Last edited by Halfassjack; 06-10-2017 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Update.

Yes, ap1's cycle on and off when the ac is on, well at least mine does.