S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Failed Smog Test OBD

Old 05-10-2010, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Failed Smog Test OBD

I failed the smog test with a MIL/Check Engine light fail. My paperwork says it failed due to an OBD communication failure. My check engine light is not on. I talked to some mechanics over the phone that did not even know what to do to fix this. The guy at the smog place said it might be a fuse.

I've read that it might be that my car does not like that smog machine, but it can also be a fuse blown somewhere. Do you guys have any suggestions?

I'm thinking of trying to find someone with an OBD machine and see if it gives them any error codes. I'm thinking that if it does not then it is something with the smog testing machine. Or is my thinking wrong?

Maybe I should go back and get it retested for free and see if it passes?

Does anyone know what this can be so I can tell the mechanic where to start looking on Wed?

I pm'ed its2krazy, but in case he does not respond, I would like to know where to start (I don't know too much about car repair).

Thanks
Old 05-10-2010, 09:44 PM

you should take out the cluster and check if there is even a bulb behind there for the check engine light. i had that happened before, was missing the bulb even though there was no check engine light on and failed smog
Old 05-10-2010, 09:59 PM

You post up in the BAY forum? I'm assuming your from the bay area since you posted up its2krazy name.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by tngay510,May 10 2010, 07:44 PM
you should take out the cluster and check if there is even a bulb behind there for the check engine light. i had that happened before, was missing the bulb even though there was no check engine light on and failed smog
wouldn't matter if the "check engine" light bulb is burnt or not. the OBD2 scan tool does not know if the bulb is burnt or not. it communicates directly with the ecu and some modules. i'm assuming they have a "no communication" in which the scan tool does not "see" the ECU. when they mean check the fuse, they are referring to the B+ or power wire at the DLC. assuming the scan tool is working, you have a problem with the DLC ckt or the ECU itself.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:20 AM

Received 419 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by tngay510,May 11 2010, 01:44 AM
and he should take out the cluster to check this?

Old 05-11-2010, 06:22 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

So wait, the ECU did not communicate with the testing equipment and you think the cluster has something to do with this because a light bulb would be burnt out?

A communications failure is just that. NO communications between the ECU and the ODBII ports. Since they are directly wired together, that tells me that it is either the wiring in the car (cut leads) or the ECU.

So first check the ECU. I assume you bought the car used, you never know there could be an AEM EMS unit in there. Or another JDM ECU. They will all present the same problem.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:41 AM

I'm going to take the car to Joey its2krazy (hopefully) and keep every updated on the situation, in case anyone else comes across this problem.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:52 PM

Sorry for the double post.

Joey took a look at it today, (thanks Joey!). He said that he didn't see anything wrong with my car, he has seen some smog machines just not like s2000's which seemed to be my case.

So my question changes too, where is a good smog place to take it to if you have an AP2 and live in the Foster City area?

It sticks that I'm out 40 bucks for the original smog test, but thus is life.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:51 PM

In the event this situation comes up again I'd go to an auto parts store and see if their crappy scan tools hook up (I live in a state with no smog regulation checks so I'm not too familiar with the process.) If it reads then I would say it's a failure in the smog machine testing equipment.

The CEL comes on when you turn to accessories. For those who don't know what it looks like, it's this one.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:11 PM

So I passed my Smog test today. Turns out the Quiksmog in Sunnyvale has no idea what they are doing. They are supposed to bypass the computer test on 04' and up S2000's. Took it to another place and had no issues.

"sigh" what a pain in the ass.

Quick Reply: Failed Smog Test OBD