S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Failed to shift smoothly.. a possible damage?

Old 01-12-2015, 12:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Failed to shift smoothly.. a possible damage?

Hey guys,

Long story short, I took my S2k on a short cruise yesterday after a detail. While I am still getting used to the new car, (I just bought it a week ago) I failed to shift from 3rd to 4th successfully. The failure happened when I disengaged the clutch too early (while I was halfway in to shifting to 4th) and the shift knob was shaking quite violently and made some noise. I know this habit needs to be changed soon as I've done it a few time to other cars but I wanted to see if this causes any harmful damage to the vehicle. I've googled relating to my habit but couldn't find much.

Thanks for the help in advance,

Don
Old 01-12-2015, 12:43 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

So you grinded a gear, it can happen to anyone. Don't make a habit out of it and you will be fine. Learn to engage the clutch after you make the shift, your foot is quicker than your hand. Replacing a tranny isn't cheap, it sounds like you do this on a regular basis, so concentrate a bit more when shifting or it will end up costing you.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:45 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Happens to the best. The transmission is pretty robust and can take some abuse. Honda chose to put a magnetic drain plug only on the rear differential plug, a testament to their perceived robustness on both engine and tranny. I have updated to magnetic plugs all around (Project Mu parts). If it were me, and it was some time back, I would drain and refill the tranny fluid. Then be more careful.....

Utah
Old 01-12-2015, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long as its not done consistently. One or twice wouldn't hurt a thing.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:48 PM

@JFUSION

Thanks for the reply. I've probably done it less than handful of time in my lifetime but it always made me wonder if it causes any harmful damage to my transmission because the feedback is very violent and scary.

@Utah S2k

Yeah. I already bought some fluids to change. Can you guide me to those magnetic plugs you've purchased? I might as well buy them for my engine & transmission and have it replaced while I am at it.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by dlpowered89
@JFUSION

Thanks for the reply. I've probably done it less than handful of time in my lifetime but it always made me wonder if it causes any harmful damage to my transmission because the feedback is very violent and scary.

@Utah S2k

Yeah. I already bought some fluids to change. Can you guide me to those magnetic plugs you've purchased? I might as well buy them for my engine & transmission and have it replaced while I am at it.
I got mine from Evasive Motorsports. I think the thread is M13x1.25 but they can verify that. Not cheap ~25; but great long term insurance. Probably cheaper sources but I only use vendors I know and trust. Randy over at Moddiction probably has a solution as well (there are several..Blox, Mu, etc.).

Utah
Old 01-12-2015, 01:07 PM

I will give them a try. Thanks!
Old 01-12-2015, 01:29 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Utah S2K
Happens to the best. The transmission is pretty robust and can take some abuse. Honda chose to put a magnetic drain plug only on the rear differential plug, a testament to their perceived robustness on both engine and tranny. I have updated to magnetic plugs all around (Project Mu parts). If it were me, and it was some time back, I would drain and refill the tranny fluid. Then be more careful.....

Utah
FYI - There's a permanent magnet in the transmission
Old 01-12-2015, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are doing this a lot you may want to scoot up your seat a bit, this may help your timing when you shift.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by afzan
Originally Posted by Utah S2K' timestamp='1421099125' post='23465386

Utah
FYI - There's a permanent magnet in the transmission
Learn something new everyday! I recall checking my drain plug years ago and it was not magnetic. But the Honda 2001 AP1 part database does show a "Magnet,Transmission". Do you know where it lives? Is it up inside?

Great to know. Thank you!

Utah

Quick Reply: Failed to shift smoothly.. a possible damage?