S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

F22c Overheating, and Misfires

Old 08-12-2012, 07:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F22c Overheating, and Misfires

This car has been hell for me. It is a MY03 and At 76,000 miles I dropped a valve and toasted the stock F20 motor. I found a F22c motor and replaced it with that, still on the MY03 ECU. Got it in and running and let it get to operating temps. It never overheated or anything, then took it for a short drive (babying it) and it hit 4 bars fairly quick, then 5 bars right after and I shut it off. The coolant system was fine so I checked the compression to see if it could be a blown head gasket. Sure enough cylinder 4 was 130 and the rest were all above 200 (Cant remember exactly but I know they were all the same, 230 maybe?). I pulled the head off and the head gasket was bad, and also piston four looked like it was getting extremely hot, it has pitting on the top of the piston. I replaced the piston and rings in that cylinder, put a new head gasket on, and fired it back up. Let it get up to operating temp and now the fan won't kick on. Things I checked:

- Tried jumping thermoswitch to find that was fine.
- Relay is fine
- Fan switch is fine
- Fuses are fine

I figured it was overheating because the fan wasn't coming on, so I jumped the relay to have the fan run constantly for a short drive. It reached 4 bars extremely fast so I shut it down. I noticed the heater wasn't blowing hot so I figured the cooling system needed burped. That is what I am working on currently, but I am still confused why the fan is not kicking on. Would air in the cooling system cause the fan to not kick on? I highly doubt that but hoping that could be the case.

Also, I got another misfire (cylinder 1 and 4). This car has thrown misfire after misfire and it is driving me insane. I have checked the misfire thread a dozen times and it is none of those things. I am really at my ends with this car I just want to get it running correct. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Breakdown:
MY03
MY04 F22c with MY03 ECU
Got it running and found it had low compression in 4
Replaced headgasket
Replaced bad piston/rings in cylinder 4
Started it up again
Overheating quickly and no heat
Misfire in 1 and 4
Old 08-12-2012, 09:50 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like your thermastat has hit the shitter. What are you using for coolant? How long where you driving with it overheating? Who did your F22c swap? Replace your thermastat and check your spark plugs and coil packs, if fine do a leakdown test
Old 08-13-2012, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by JUSTINTHECOASTIE
Sounds like your thermastat has hit the shitter. What are you using for coolant? How long where you driving with it overheating? Who did your F22c swap? Replace your thermastat and check your spark plugs and coil packs, if fine do a leakdown test

I am going to replace the thermostat to see if that was the cause for the overheat. If the thermostat is stuck closed will that cause the fan to not kick on?

For coolant I am using Honda Type 2.

Once it hit four bars I pulled over to a neighborhood that was less then a 1/4 mile away. I was never taking it up high in RPMs or anything after the swap to make sure everything was running correct, and wanted to make sure if something happened I was close enough to home to get it home with ease. The odd thing is though, after the headgasket replacement and the piston replacement, when it overheats it goes to 4 bars extremely quick and then back down to 3 bars. Could this be air in the system causing the quick fluctuations?

A buddy and I did the swap, he has done a ton of swaps and I have done a few myself. The swap itself wasn't too challenging, just more time consuming since it was our first time pulling a motor on the s2000.

I know people run the MY03 ECU with the F22c (Your thread inspired me to go with the F22c), but without a VAFC tune could that be the reason for the misfires?
Old 08-13-2012, 11:37 AM

Did you bleed the cooling system properly? You have to crack open the bleeder and remove the cap on the nipple of the water pipe on the firewall when you're filling it with coolant. Once you fill it up properly, put the radiator cap back on, start the engine and let it idle til its warmed up. Keep the bleeder open until you see a constant flow of coolant coming out of it, then close it. A quick check to make sure coolant is flowing thru the system is that both the upper and lower radiator hoses should be warm when you reached correct operating temps. Good luck...
Old 08-13-2012, 12:32 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Bleed is very extensive during engine replacement.

Bottom line, dont drive the car until the heat is very hot. Find my coolant bleed procedure.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:24 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by besixteenatwo
Originally Posted by JUSTINTHECOASTIE' timestamp='1344793838' post='21931234

I am going to replace the thermostat to see if that was the cause for the overheat. If the thermostat is stuck closed will that cause the fan to not kick on?

For coolant I am using Honda Type 2.

Once it hit four bars I pulled over to a neighborhood that was less then a 1/4 mile away. I was never taking it up high in RPMs or anything after the swap to make sure everything was running correct, and wanted to make sure if something happened I was close enough to home to get it home with ease. The odd thing is though, after the headgasket replacement and the piston replacement, when it overheats it goes to 4 bars extremely quick and then back down to 3 bars. Could this be air in the system causing the quick fluctuations?

A buddy and I did the swap, he has done a ton of swaps and I have done a few myself. The swap itself wasn't too challenging, just more time consuming since it was our first time pulling a motor on the s2000.

I know people run the MY03 ECU with the F22c (Your thread inspired me to go with the F22c), but without a VAFC tune could that be the reason for the misfires?
As other stated above, try re-bleeding the cooling system. As far as the mis-fires, I ran without a vafc tune for 6 months and didnt have misfires. I'd do a leakdown test, check spark plugs and coil packs to narrow down the misfire issue. What CEL code are you getting?
Old 08-13-2012, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Billman250
Bleed is very extensive during engine replacement.

Bottom line, dont drive the car until the heat is very hot. Find my coolant bleed procedure.
Indeed. When I put my F22 in I warmed it up drove it down the block and my temp went to the danger zone.

Bled it and everything was golden.