S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

f20c dimension

Old 03-17-2008, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default f20c dimension

Hey everybody, I'm a new member here and this is my first post.

Before anyone goes crazy flaming me, I HAVE read through the FAQs and guidelines, and I consider this to be a technical question.

Basically, my goal is to take the CRX shell I just purchased, install a Miata rear end in it, cut a channel for a driveshaft, fabricate motor mounts, and install an f20c in the engine bay. I don't have the f20c right in front of me, so I can't measure how big the hole in the firewall needs to be cut to clear the transmission, or how far forward the engine will hand, or if I'll have to modify/move the engine bay subframe or radiator.

I'm also trying to figure out how much the f20c weighs (and the front/rear ratio, if possible) so I can figure out where I need to put it to get as close to 50/50 weight balance as possible. I realize this is a tall order, but I figure I'll ask for everything and hope for a little assistance.

Most importantly, I'd like to know the measurement on the longest point on the block, longest point on the transmission, distance from the rear of the block to the shifter (I may have to fabricate a linkage for it, but I'd like to avoid it if possible), and width of the engine (top and bottom).

Other than that, I'm hoping to use the stock intake manifold (if it clears the hood) and exhaust manifold (I'll fabricate and exhaust for the chassis that will mate up with the manifold), so dimensions on those would be appreciated but not absolutely necessary.

Hopefully I'll be able to source out most of what I need (long block, transmission, ecu) from a single salvaged S2000 (something rear-ended for $5k or so seems reasonable) but if I have to resort to parting it together, I will.

I am well aware of the scope of this project, and hope that you'll all be supportive of the blasphemy I'm shooting for. I'm basically doing what every hot-rodder does in a much smaller scale. I'm absolutely in love with the CRX chassis, and absolutely in love with the engineering of the f20c (f22c is cool and all, but not AS cool IMHO), so there's really no talking me out of this one. After everything's in and set up, I'll figure out what I'm doing for suspension (probably Miata, with custom mount points and geometry according to how my weight balance turns out). If things go even reasonably well, I'll be able to start this with a big pile of all the parts I'll need in 6 months or so (it's a big list of parts).

Wish me luck, and if this really isn't a technical question I apologize and request that a mod fix my screw-up. Since I'm sure you all like pictures (every Honda person seems to) here's the gallery so far:
http://picasaweb.google.com/Jesse.B.OBrien/CRX20
and here's what it looks like after day 1 of gutting:
Old 03-18-2008, 01:37 AM

sry i cant help you with dimensions, but this sounds interesting

good luck
Old 03-18-2008, 08:52 AM

Thanks for the support, I'm hoping someone can get dimensions. I just called all the local salvage yards; nobody has an f20c

I'd like to have this mostly figured out, dimension-wise, before I actually get the motor here and take out the old motor. If anyone can give even rough estimates (I know there are a couple of you guys and girls who already have f20c's here) I'd really appreciate it.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:34 PM

pm me next week , i will pull my motor this coming days..
and i need to check some dimension too in order to swap it into my datsun..
Old 07-19-2008, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by xyzalvarez,Apr 4 2008, 08:34 PM
pm me next week , i will pull my motor this coming days..
and i need to check some dimension too in order to swap it into my datsun..
Is it going into a Z or a 510?
Old 07-20-2008, 07:07 PM

are you talking about f20c from s2000 or f20c from Europe accord's?
Old 07-22-2008, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Togobox,Jul 20 2008, 07:07 PM
are you talking about f20c from s2000 or f20c from Europe accord's?
I'm pretty sure he's talking about the s2000 motor since he's putting in a miata rear end. If I were you I'd use a r300 rear end instead though
Old 07-23-2008, 11:15 AM

interesting, i did worry about the how to fit the transmission between the front seats.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a guy on HomeMadeTurbo.com doing the same mod. He may be able to help, but wear your flame suit going in. That place is rough.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:26 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a motor sitting in my garage. I'll take a tape measure to it tonight and get you the dimensions.

Quick Reply: f20c dimension