S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

F20 c oil consumption?

Old 05-20-2018, 06:18 AM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Matchbox
Beginner question:

Does the F20c Engine need oil top ups regulary between oil changes?
To more specifically answer your question, it appears that some do and some don't. Mine is a MY00 with 79k miles and it rarely needs any extra oil. The only time it does is occasionally after a track day, and it has never been more than 1/4 quart. It never burns oil on the street. Like others, I am religious about checking oil levels in case something changes, but I've had the car for 20k miles, done 30 track days, and mine doesn't have an issue with consuming oil.

The generalization that all F20c burn oil is just not accurate. Still, every engine is different so you need to get know your specific engine and if/how/when it burns oil.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:32 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,255 Likes on 1,096 Posts

Easy to monitor oil consumption.

Start with a base line oil change and fill to the top mark on the dip stick. Check the oil level every refuel. Takes no time and the other guys there will want to peek at the engine while the hood is up. After a few "every refuel" checks you have a good idea of what, if any, oil consumption is taking place and can react accordingly. Down to midway on the stick after 300 miles (my cruising range on a tank of gas)? You're burning oil/losing oil! No need to keep adding an once at a time to keep it at the top mark. Bottom mark is down a quart/liter (it's not defined) so just add oil when it's at or below that line. Not dribbling oil in there to keep it full gives me (at least) an indication of how much oil is being used. In my case it's negligible.

There is no consensus but some experience oil loss with specific oil brands. Mobil One comes to mind although I have no direct experience with it. Others have different uses with conventional vs synthetic oils. 10W-30 is spec. I run 5W-30 only because Royal Purple full synthetic doesn't come in 0W-30. Oil is oil in reality though, the stuff at Walmart is fine. I feel better with with "better" (OK, more expensive) oil. Neither Honda nor your engine care as long as it's spec and clean. My third Royal Purple oil analysis is at the labs. I'm not expecting anything abnormal.

-- Chuck
Old 05-20-2018, 07:55 AM

Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

As a S2000 rookie, i was a little bit concerned, but your answers give me peace of mind.

I bought the car and changed the oil, filled it up to the "Full" mark. Of course with a new car i checked the oil level often to avoid a nasty surprise and to get a feel how much oil the engine burns.
What i dont know at this point is that i have to check both sides of the dipstick at the S2000. I cheked the oil level often, and it all seems well.

After 1.500 km / 1.000 Miles, a lot with 5.000 + RPM on the Autobahn, i get aware that i have to chek both sides of the oil dip stick, and to my big surprise the front side of the dispstick reads "Full" while the back side reads "Low".
I topped it of with almost 1 Liter / 1 Quart of oil and will monitor it closely.
I am allways checking the oillevel when the car was sitting over night bevor the drive, this gives the most accurate and comparable readings in my oppinion.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:02 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,255 Likes on 1,096 Posts

You've got the procedure well in hand. Reading the dipstick can be difficult when clean oil is in the engine. Blackening the tip by heating it with a propane torch was recommended by some one and works well.

-- Chuck
Old 05-20-2018, 08:55 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Matchbox
I am allways checking the oillevel when the car was sitting over night bevor the drive, this gives the most accurate and comparable readings in my oppinion.
I agree with this and this is what I do. I find when the car is stone cold if I pull the stick and wipe it, and then put it in and pull it again I get none of that two sides problem and it makes me feel more confident in the result.

I torched the tip of my dip stick and it does help a lot with my old eyes.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:10 PM

Received 248 Likes on 177 Posts

+1 on reading both sides of the dipstick, always trust the side that reads LOW. I've seen some on here that were over two qt's. low but one side of the dip stick read full.

ROD
Old 05-20-2018, 08:51 PM

Received 126 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by EELPIE
Yes oil level and missed shifts are the prime killers of this engine.

I personally am a "cold oil level checker"

I check before I start out.

The problem with checking at a gas station could be that the oil has not had enough time to return to the oil pan.

Over filling can be as bad as under filling. I am not sure how overfilled it has to be before the crank starts contacting oil in the sump.

But that causes foaming and air in the system is not good.

My 2 cents
I regularly overfill over half a quart (burning over 1 quart every 1K miles for the last 30K) and don't have any issues

Wouldn't recommend it to most folks tho
Old 05-20-2018, 08:52 PM

Received 126 Likes on 76 Posts

It feels appropriate to post this for more information on checking the dipstick.

Old 05-21-2018, 03:16 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Nice video, as always.
My take - rely primarily on stone cold checks. If you check at the gas station be careful before you start pouring a quart of oil in your engine. Make sure you are getting a good understanding of the level from the dip stick. Wait for the oil to drain into the pan, then do several pulls and read both sides.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:19 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Some of the over the counter oils are really hard to read as they almost have no colour to them. I always liked Redline oil in my S2000, a side benefit was the nice dark amber colour in virgin form, made reading so much easier for someone with old tired eyes, lol.

Quick Reply: F20 c oil consumption?