S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Extremely annoying noise in rear...

Old 09-07-2011, 09:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Deff check the axle nut first!

Did you check the spare tire? The little metal tightener on top gets loose and rattles. If you have a loud exhaust check the metal poles that cross each other in the trunk. Mine rattled together.

Is it more of a metal tap or a thump? Thump most likely has to do with suspension / wheels / etc. I had a thump the other day and was missing one of my upper control arm bolts... God knows how that fell out.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the axle TSB a while back, but didn't grease the nut. I'll redo that this weekend. I did notice the metal bars touching in the trunk and bent them apart. This is more of a thump, and is definitely coming from under the car. I think it may be a bad shock. I noticed that something is rubbing the inner edge of the rear bumper cover and leaving a burnt-plastic crust on the area being rubbed. I don't see how it would be possible for the rear tire to move back far enough to rub the inner edge of the cover, even with the shock compressed. I'm really confused there. But as I said shock seems kinda likely because I can hear this noise sometimes when someone sits down in the pass. seat while the E-brake is set while sitting still. I'm running out of patience as it aggravates me wondering if some part of the suspension assembly is going to come apart while I'm hustling down the switchbacks during my daily commute...
Old 09-08-2011, 07:58 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Probably a silly question, but the axle nut only applies to the rear wheels, right?
Old 09-08-2011, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Billman250 - I don't know where your getting your information but your NEVER supposed use any type of grease on an axle nut, its always engine oil and its applied to the threads as well as the shoulder of the nut. If you lubricate the fasteners shoulder and not the threads your always going to get a fluctuation in torque measurement regardless, especially if you use wheel bearing grease...
Old 09-09-2011, 12:44 AM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboViper
Billman250 - I don't know where your getting your information but your NEVER supposed use any type of grease on an axle nut, its always engine oil and its applied to the threads as well as the shoulder of the nut. If you lubricate the fasteners shoulder and not the threads your always going to get a fluctuation in torque measurement regardless, especially if you use wheel bearing grease...
  1. I would never question Billman, of all people
  2. Even the Honda TSB states the use of grease: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/gallery/p...499__file__med

I definitely had a click on my rear every now and then and the axle nut grease and retorque to 220 lb-ft fixed it right up.

I believe you don't apply grease to threads because it'll give an erroneous torque reading.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:25 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

I surly dont get it from this website, I give it.

GREASE THE FACE, not the threads, and dont listen to turboviper. Engine oil will result in over-torque, and breaking of the axle during launch.

I have performed over 600 axle nut "tsbs"...how bout you?
Old 09-09-2011, 04:29 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
I surly dont get it from this website, I give it.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by TurboViper
your always going to get a fluctuation in torque measurement regardless, especially if you use wheel bearing grease...
The setting with the grease is so precise, I've even been able to give people a clock position to base their work on. Perhaps you can find the fluctuation for me....I dont see it. but hey, what do I know. I'm just an internet voice

Maybe your :tip wink: hat is sitting to low.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:54 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Billman, when you say grease the face, you mean that flange on the backside of the nut that makes contact with the hub, correct?
Old 09-09-2011, 09:00 AM

correct

Quick Reply: Extremely annoying noise in rear...