S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Extreme Clutch Play in 1 Night

Old 12-15-2010, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The clutch just went back to normal the day before I was going to make the repair.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:03 PM

??
you didnt have to do anything??
ha....weird.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:44 PM

Well, I topped off the clutch fluid and a bunch of gunk came out in the footwell.

About two weeks later (yesterday) I used a turkey bastier (sp?) to suck and flush the reservoir of all the gunk and replaced the fluid. That was to avoid having to bleed the system.

I have a feeling it got plugged and that plug was released, putting the clutch back to normal.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was just about to make a posting about this and saw this one. i had the same exact thing happen to me yesterday. over the last couple weeks, i would sometimes find it a little difficult to put my car into first gear (didnt notice one way or another with reverse). i would have to use some force. but only sometimes. then thru the last day or so, my pedal seemed to be a little softer than usual. then last night i found myself not being able to put my car in reverse at all, or even first for that matter. i was able to turn my car off and then it would slip into gear a little easier. then crank the car and continue on.

can someone verify that this sounds like the same issue?

and if so, it looks like according to the people on this thread, i will need to check my clutch fluid levels first. if low look for a leak? but it is possible that there is a "clog" or stopage in the lines?

thanks for anyones help here.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by swifbboy,Dec 16 2010, 07:34 AM
i was just about to make a posting about this and saw this one. i had the same exact thing happen to me yesterday. over the last couple weeks, i would sometimes find it a little difficult to put my car into first gear (didnt notice one way or another with reverse). i would have to use some force. but only sometimes. then thru the last day or so, my pedal seemed to be a little softer than usual. then last night i found myself not being able to put my car in reverse at all, or even first for that matter. i was able to turn my car off and then it would slip into gear a little easier. then crank the car and continue on.

can someone verify that this sounds like the same issue?

and if so, it looks like according to the people on this thread, i will need to check my clutch fluid levels first. if low look for a leak? but it is possible that there is a "clog" or stopage in the lines?

thanks for anyones help here.
It sounds similar.

Look at your clutch fluid and see if its dark. Stir it up a bit and see if there is some black gunky flecks in the bottom. Mine was horrible, it's hard to believe the dealer "changed" the fluids when they said they did.

The OXO turkey baister (sp) from target (9.99) worked like a charm to suck the old fluid out. I wouldn't use the one in your kitchen...
I flushed the reservoir 2x and refilled. There is still some crap lower in the system but I'm flushing it again in a couple days, it should be fairly clean after that.

See if it works. Someone else suggested I do this to resolve the problem...it worked
Old 12-17-2010, 12:41 AM

I would recommend bleeding the clutch. It sounds like you had some air in the hydraulic system, and possibly still do. It is cheap insurance, and honestly only takes about 15 minutes if you have somebody to help you.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:15 AM

i checked my fluids last night and they were pretty low. they were also very dark. almost black. i topped it off to hold me over until tomorrow when i can have the time to bleed everything out.

jib2222, how quickly did you notice the difference when you bled out yours?
Old 12-17-2010, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by swifbboy,Dec 17 2010, 06:15 AM
jib2222, how quickly did you notice the difference when you bled out yours?
if done right it will be instant....i drove mine around my apartment and could feel a difference.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:45 PM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

What makes you so confident it's fixed? Your master cylinder is leaking hydraulic fluid. By flushing and refilling, you've only effected a temporary fix. There's enough fluid to actuate the clutch, but the bad seal will continue to leak. When it gets low again, the problem will return. You can probably deal with this for a while, but eventually the seal will fail completely and leave the car undrivable. At least get the replacement master and have it on hand for that eventuality.

(Been there twice...once in the S, once in the GSR I had before that)
Old 12-18-2010, 01:32 PM

just got finished flushing mine out. works like a charm for now. but this is only a temporary fix. looks like mine is leaking, and will need to be replaced pretty soon. thanks guys for the help!

Quick Reply: Extreme Clutch Play in 1 Night