S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Exhaust Systems Which One?

Old 07-29-2002, 10:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard that by running the silencer alot it might mess with the ECU...is that true?
Old 07-29-2002, 10:53 PM

Time to put in my comments.

I've drove my car with Neuspeed exhaust for about a year and loved it. IMO, it's perfect for cruising, for being loud enough to be heard and noticed, but not so loud that it gives you headache or interrupts your conversations in the car. It's european in tone, low and *smooth*. Very nice to hear in sub-VTEC, volume is on par with engine in VTEC.

I have a friend (reecespieces) with Spoon exhaust + Spoon header. I've always loved riding in his car and could never get enough of the thoroughly aggressive and *full* sound that it provides. It's the kind of sound that makes the car feel very very powerful psychologically.

Now I own a Spoon exhaust. I am very very pleased with it, but I DEFINITELY find that it's become less apt to be my car of choice for a long long trip. However, I have a hearing loss + hearing aid so I can just turn the sound off any time I want

Combine that with AEM Intake, which means I get the crazy banshee hand-of-god airbox-cover-off sound I always wanted WITHOUT loss of power. In fact, dynoing the car shows gains across the board, a huge torque boost around 4k rpm, a lowered torque peak at 6600rpm, and an extended hp peak of 220.5hp. Plus, the CAI means I don't get that crazy power loss due to heated airbox/intake on hot days at lunchtime.

The intake also means that I get a wonderful boost in volume when I hit VTEC. Observe: http://128.200.136.106/steveuci/MOV04566x.MPG

I haven't tried the silencer yet, but reecespieces says that it makes it sound as quiet as stock, yet kinda raspy sounding. It's good enough to qualify for fix-it-tickets though.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-30-2002, 12:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also received my Spoon N1 today. I decided to call a friend up and install it. The installation took about an hour. The only difficult part was removing the rubber hangers. Hams2000 recommended that I use WD-40 to loosen the hangers, which made it much easier to remove them. I have to say the exhaust sounds very loud/deep/boomy. At about 3-4K RPM, all you can hear is the exhaust. However, it does sound mean, and I enjoy hearing it as I drive. I also run the AEM CAI, and when VTEC engages, it sounds very mean.
Old 07-30-2002, 08:50 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2Thizzle
[B]I also received my Spoon N1 today.
Old 07-30-2002, 09:33 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SteveUCI
[B]

The guy who installed my exhaust mentioned that using WD40 on rubber hangers that you intend to use will ruin them?
Old 07-30-2002, 10:09 AM

[B]I also received my Spoon N1 today.
Old 07-30-2002, 12:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SH*T! Well I hope the WD-40 didn't damage the rubber hangers. So far, it's been fine - I had a friend drive behind me to tell me if the exhaust was bouncing up and down, and it was stable. Since I'm still breaking it in, I know it'll get louder as I keep driving. SteveUCI, you've had yours for awhile now right? Has it gotten noticeably louder than when you first installed it? BTW, how's your car? Has it been repaired yet? (I read your thread about the truck dropping something on the freeway and hitting your car)

Also, I think it's funny how the Spoon N1 doesn't say Spoon Sports anywhere at all on the exhaust. I know most other companies engrave the company name somewhere on the exhaust (usually on the tailpipe). I wonder why Spoon doesn't do the same......
Old 07-30-2002, 01:58 PM

[B]SH*T!
Old 07-30-2002, 02:50 PM

Does the CEL come on when you install the Spoon test pipe?
Old 07-30-2002, 02:51 PM

Also, how does the HKS exhaust compare to the Neuspeed exhaust? Which is louder?

Quick Reply: Exhaust Systems Which One?