S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Exhaust side Oil Pressure Sensor - Doesn’t Fit?

Old 03-18-2021, 04:03 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Exhaust side Oil Pressure Sensor - Doesn’t Fit?

I noticed a super slow drip (1 drop per minute) landing in my garage. Found the oil pressure sensor is only screwed in this far. Okay easy fix, right? Well it doesn’t GO in any farther. I can only hand screw it this tight. Plenty of room to put some torque on it, but I feel like it should hand-screw in much further than this...

Heres the sensor removed. I googled the part number as well, and found like 40 different variants, so I’m not even sure I’ve got the right thing in there. Any thoughts?

Old 03-18-2021, 04:12 PM

Received 1,398 Likes on 837 Posts

Need to be real careful here.

The thread is BSP in the block, most sending units are NPT.

Get an oem sensor. Seal the threads with grey rtv (its pipe thread so sealer is mandatory)
The following users liked this post:
Slowcrash_101 (03-29-2021)
Old 03-18-2021, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Billman250
Need to be real careful here.

The thread is BSP in the block, most sending units are NPT.

Get an oem sensor. Seal the threads with grey rtv (its pipe thread so sealer is mandatory)

Thanks Billman! Is this not OEM? Looks kind of like what I see when I Google the part number.
Old 03-24-2021, 03:54 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Schneck
I noticed a super slow drip (1 drop per minute) landing in my garage. Found the oil pressure sensor is only screwed in this far. Okay easy fix, right? Well it doesn’t GO in any farther. I can only hand screw it this tight. Plenty of room to put some torque on it, but I feel like it should hand-screw in much further than this...
It's normal that sensor won't screw further. It's a pipe thread.

Looks like OEM sensor, but I'm not 100% sure. Do you know was the sensor removed before? If it was removed and then putted back without new thread sealer that would explain the leak.
Old 03-24-2021, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by _valtsu_

Looks like OEM sensor, but I'm not 100% sure. Do you know was the sensor removed before? If it was removed and then putted back without new thread sealer that would explain the leak.
it definitely had thread sealer on it. And I agree it looked OEM, but I went with Billman’s advice and got a new one from Majestic just to be sure. ($25)

I believe it’s leaking because its only going in half way. The new one should be here soon and I’ll update this post with the findings.

The engine was pulled before by a haphazard DIY previous owner. A lot of stuff had been.... forcefully torqued and cross-threaded. I mean, literally everything...
Old 03-24-2021, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by _valtsu_
I’m sorry I missed this on the first go....

this sensor SHOULDN’T thread in flush with the block?!
Old 03-24-2021, 06:31 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm pretty sure mine wasn't. Pipe thread used here is tapered so it's normal that it wont go all the way down.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:32 AM

Received 316 Likes on 226 Posts

Have a look:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...-bolt-1204388/
Old 03-25-2021, 04:54 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Pipe thread is tapered. As the parts thread together, they form a tighter and tighter seal (but threads still leave room for liquid to pass, so sealer still necessary). But for this reason, no, the parts do not bottom out.

The seal does not take place by bottoming out (if they did, there'd be a gasket or oring at the base). Since the seal takes place in the threads themselves, pipe threaded joints should never fully bottom out.
The following users liked this post:
windhund116 (03-25-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 05:18 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Pipe thread is tapered. As the parts thread together, they form a tighter and tighter seal (but threads still leave room for liquid to pass, so sealer still necessary). But for this reason, no, the parts do not bottom out.

The seal does not take place by bottoming out (if they did, there'd be a gasket or oring at the base). Since the seal takes place in the threads themselves, pipe threaded joints should never fully bottom out.
Yes, you should not try to bottom-out a pipe thread fitting. You run the risk of damaging the holder (which in this case is the block). Just torque to specs and inspect the sealant for even application, around the fitting.

Quick Reply: Exhaust side Oil Pressure Sensor - Doesn’t Fit?